Wiring Advise Needed

Hey Guys. This is my first post. I've been reading the forums for a while & decided to ask this question for some opinions.

My system recently consisted of 9 MA Audio HardKore 12's in a sealed wall w/ 3 MA HK4000D's pushing them. I also had 4 smaller MA amps for mids & highs, which are all MA. Also, the system consisted of 1 headunit (of coarse), 1 Epicenter 160 & 1 AudioControl DQS w/ DDC.

My electrical consists of 1 MechMan 200amp alt, 2 reg batts under the hood & 4 NGT Extreme Group31 AGM batts in the trunk. BIG 3 is done. I have 1 run of 1/0 power wire running to the rear batts from the front batts. From the rear batts to the amps I have 4ga running to them & connecting the batts in the rear.

My problem is after a short period of cranking the volume (maybe a couple mins) my volyage starts to drop dramatically, sometimes into the single digits. Then, I have to drive for an extending amount of time to charge my batts back up before cranking the vol again. I've spoke w/ MechMan about the charging issue, which he gave me a few things to try. None of which solved my problem. I recently burnt up one of my HK4000D's due to the voltage drops.

I have recently sold all of my MA equipment and have decided to not run so many amps to help the current draw. My new setup consists of 9 KICKER L7 12's & 1 HiFonics SAMPSON to push them. Also, for mids/ highs (Seleniums/ Daytons) I'll be running 2 (maybe 3) 4channel HiFonics ZXI-8408 amps. Everything else is the same.

I believe thats all the info anyone may need. If not, please ask. The car is an '82 Cadi Coupe DeVille w/ the V8 4100 motor. No room for dual Alts.

My question is- what do I need to do to keep my system powered so that I won't have to keep turning it off to charge my batts back up?

Any & all help is greatly appreciated. :hi:

Edited by 8Deuce

Your initial problem was only having one run of 1/0 from front to back and ONLY a 200A alt. Your batteries were eating it the entire time.

If you're planning on running 8k, once again, you need to add more runs, more (or bigger) alts, and more batteries at a minimum. MLA module will add voltage, but it won't make up for lack of current. A good addition nonetheless.

EDIT: Why 9 subs?

Edited by Neo_frog

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

dang man thats a beast of an amp ( the sampson). but maybe try a MLA mod to keep your batts charged

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention-

The alt I have now has the built in adjustable voltage regulator. Its currently set at 15.2v.

Is that the same as a MLA?

Yes voltage same as MLA but only 1 run back and runnin 4ga in back? thats your problem

Passport Build Here

Alarm: Prestige APS997A 2-Way/Remote Start

HeadUnit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Front Battery: Yellowtop Optima D34/78

Back Battery: 2x C&D Technologies High Rate Series UPS12-475FR 134AH

Subs: 2x DC Lv4XL 18's

Amps: 2x Sundown Saz1500's Strapped

Box: 12Cubes 33hz 185sqin Port(15.4sqin per cube)

Pillars: AudioBahn AS31Q

Front Doors: Clif Designs TX40.5

Back Doors: Clif Designs CD50.4C

Rear Speakers: Clif Designs TX46.5

Front/Rear Amp: Kicker ZX350.4

Back/Pillars Amp: Kicker ZX200.2(Looking for another zx350.4)

Electrical: 1/0 Scorpion Wire 2 Runs Pos and 2Runs Ground, Knu 1/0 Flex Running to Amps ect, Big 3, JL 8Ga For Speaker Wire, Knu Karma RCA's, Scorpion Volt Meter

Deadener: 100 sqft Sound Destroyer Mat And SECOND SKIN Damplifier Pro Door Pack

Your initial problem was only having one run of 1/0 from front to back and ONLY a 200A alt. Your batteries were eating it the entire time.

If you're planning on running 8k, once again, you need to add more runs, more (or bigger) alts, and more batteries at a minimum. MLA module will add voltage, but it won't make up for lack of current. A good addition nonetheless.

EDIT: Why 9 subs?

Thats what I was thinking too. Adding more runs really isn't a big deal to get done. Now the alt is a different story...

I spoke w/ MechMan about upgrading to a 300amp but he believes that I'll be creating a slipage issue since I have V-Belts. Dual alts is out of the question at this time b/c my current motor has all the accessories for air, smog, etc... I do have plans to swap it to a SBC350 in the future but for now I have to work w/ what I got...

The 9 subs came from a compromise between the performance & "wow factor". I wanted the performance & also the expression people have when they see all the multiple subs & say "Damn". LOL

Thats what I was thinking too. Adding more runs really isn't a big deal to get done. Now the alt is a different story...

I spoke w/ MechMan about upgrading to a 300amp but he believes that I'll be creating a slipage issue since I have V-Belts. Dual alts is out of the question at this time b/c my current motor has all the accessories for air, smog, etc... I do have plans to swap it to a SBC350 in the future but for now I have to work w/ what I got...

The 9 subs came from a compromise between the performance & "wow factor". I wanted the performance & also the expression people have when they see all the multiple subs & say "Damn". LOL

I was saying 9 subs because of the wiring. It can be done with D4s to .88ohms so I guess you're good there. I just wasn't thinking about it.

Well another thing you gotta worry about when getting a bigger alt is the decrease in output at idle. Just keep that in mind also.

Oh, and fuck the AC. ;) Dual alts FTW!

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

I was saying 9 subs because of the wiring. It can be done with D4s to .88ohms so I guess you're good there. I just wasn't thinking about it.

Well another thing you gotta worry about when getting a bigger alt is the decrease in output at idle. Just keep that in mind also.

Oh, and fuck the AC. ;) Dual alts FTW!

Exactly. I got the D4 L7's. FTW. :good:

LOL. Its a Lac- I gotta have AC.

Exactly. I got the D4 L7's. FTW. :good:

LOL. Its a Lac- I gotta have AC.

Exactly. I don't want ice cubes hitting me in the head. Those daggone things blow cold!

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert