I Need Some Serious Wiring Help.

ok, so ive been having problems with my grandpas truck, heres the problem. the amp distorts like a mother f*@ker. when the 8 gauge ground and power wires are attached to it, the DMM shows like 6 volts, but if i unhook them from the amp, its shows 12 volts. i know its not the amp, because i hooked up a small battery i got from a hospital and bumped for a while, but it just dosent make sense to me.

SO.

it has 12 volts on main wires, untill hooked up, and shoots down to 6 volts.

it worked fine off of a secondary battery

the turn-on lead is fine.

sub is well within the amps safe ohm load ratings, at 4 ohms, and sub is bridged.

i have a good ground, and the ground is probly 8 inches long.

i just cant figure out what the F*@K

the amp is a cheap ass pyramid beast or some shit like that....800 watts max. just temp. till i get the cash for a crunch 1500.1.

its not the head unit, i got a old pioneer from a neighbor and same problem. im just dumbfounded as to what it is. thanks for any help!

EDIT, it a legacy predator with the front plates off for cooling.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

Guest KyleCannon

Check the resistance of the ground wire and/or try relocating the ground. Also check the positive wire resistance as well. Does the voltage drop to 6 volts after you're beating on it or when it just sits there at idle.

i found the problem, my engine (cammed chevy 350) must have shooken then bolts on the battery terminal loose.... meaning the connection was so shitty it showed 6 volts, just cause of a damn turn-on LED. :x

i beat the sh!t out of the amp today, pretty damn good considering its a legacy, didnt really get hot, and never distorted after 2 hours of bumping my prototype 10". 60 watts RMS FTMFL. :|

also, i was looking for the RBC to it, and a wheel and tire fell on my finger, and now i think i may have dislodged something. sucks...not to mention i didnt find the damn RBC.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

Archived