Sonic Electronix

Alternator Power More Than Car Can Handle ?

This is a nice thread becuz i also drive a lhs its a 2000 tho and there is no room at all so kinda nice to see someone else drives on 2...

hehe ya ! i got 2 18''s in mine.

anyways, i am going to see if i can get the DC power guys to make a 300 amp alternator, he said 290 when i asked him what the biggest one he could make was. My mechanic has looked at my car a few times about this issue, and there are a couple things hes thinking about doing to make it fit but i doubt it would happen.

I am likely going to have to go with 1 large alternator, and an MLA module ( please link one somebody ive never heard of them )

i currently run 140 amp alternator, with a kinetik hc 1800 upfront, and a kinetik 2000 right beside my hifonics brutus 2600 RMS.

I am looking to upgrade to 1 more hifonics brutus 2600 RMS amplifier, and adding another kinetik 2000 battery beside that amplifier, And then replacing my 2 RE audio SX 18''s with FI BTL 18''s, And finally getting a new head-unit with 8v so the amp will really want to push out some power

Do you guys think that 1 300 amp alternator with an MLA module would be sufficent with that battery setup i listed above.

Anyways guys, Check my build-log to see my vehicle !

See my LHS Here : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=43739

My LHS does around 119.9 db drive-by my meter cant read high enough to get what it is hitting on the dash. But its loud.

please become active in the thread guys ! i am new hear but i can see there are some seriously professional people in here.

I cant wait to get some feedback on the route i am taking and the plans i have for my vehicle.

And also it will be getting lowered and put up on 20''s painted metalic black tinted and call it a day once the audio system is complete.

Join the thread guys and make sure to stay tunned :) its greatly appreciated. I am just trying to learn how to do all my own work now. Myself and my GF are doing an install for somebody of a pair of 12''s i will put that build journal up too.

and yes ! it was a DC power alternator i called them to ask for the price/time it would take to build it.

Edited by knowledgestick
smdsignature.jpg

MLA : Missinglinkaudio.com

Roger, i will be looking into one. i would want the GM style right, or the pro series ?

Also, how much do thease modules usually run and how hard would it actually be to install should my installer be able to handle it if i cannot ?

thanks guys, you all rule for helping ! this place is so much more accepting the fact of being a newb than most other sites i belonged to before this i actually want to leanr to install all my own gear after going thru what i did with future hsop and now having to take them to small claims court, i hope that i can learn alot from thease forums and my first install we do in a couple months turns out well :)

But for now, stay tunned and pay attention to my build thread !

So that, along side with a 300 amp alternator should give me enough juice for 5200 RMS with the correct amount of battery power to back it up ?

smdsignature.jpg

Guest KyleCannon

The best thing you can do like everyone said is get the biggest damn alt robbie can build you.... and maybe for a little extra money robbie might be able to go and do some research and see if he can build anything more than 300 amps :)

All in all, Robbie is the guy to come to when it comes to alts.

There are also other factors on dual alts as well (even certain alternators). If there is too much load on the idler pulley it can literally stall the engine even on the freeway. Now we wouldn't want that :)

Edited by KyleCannon

The best thing you can do like everyone said is get the biggest damn alt robbie can build you.... and maybe for a little extra money robbie might be able to go and do some research and see if he can build anything more than 300 amps :)

There are also other factors on dual alts as well (even certain alternators). If there is too much load on the idler pulley it can literally stall the engine even on the freeway. Now we wouldn't want that :)

hahah hell no ! thanks alot for that information guys, i will deffinatly be getting a DC power alternator there is no question about that and i will do my best to get him to build one larger than 300 amps.

That with an MLA module should do the trick, also backed up with heavy battery supply so i think i will be fine on the 5200 RMS i will be pushing

Edited by knowledgestick
smdsignature.jpg

I also am interested still in running dual alternators or even 3, like steve. I want to turn this car into one of the most insane trunk install's that still has backsteats and i mean that. I want this thing to be fuckin mean lol. anyways, if you could answer that question and offer some advice i will also go take some pictures of where my alternator is so we can all look if i would even have room for a 2nd one let alone a third !

smdsignature.jpg

Guest KyleCannon
I also am interested still in running dual alternators or even 3, like steve. I want to turn this car into one of the most insane trunk install's that still has backsteats and i mean that. I want this thing to be fuckin mean lol. anyways, if you could answer that question and offer some advice i will also go take some pictures of where my alternator is so we can all look if i would even have room for a 2nd one let alone a third !

When you're ready to get an alt either PM me or tell robbie that kyle sent ya from the forums and that he said that you might be able to do something crazy. But remember, Robbie has the final say on this and you might be screwed regardless. :\

But if it's possible, Robie can do it.

Let us know!