Solo X Question

Ofcourse I have a DMM (Digital Multi Meter - AKA Volt meter) What's the best way to set the gain without using an oscope?

dj2q.jpg

Jared Nixon  A.K.A. Jsmoke

My Car Stereo Website: 3rd Coast Customs

My Fishing Website: BigLake411.com

Add me as a friend: Myspace

Download: Check out my Audio Calculations Spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel)

ATTENTION ALL SMD MEMBERS: Do not under any circumstance buy anything from Chassistech! They do not stand behind their products & their customer service is horrible. They do not actually manufacture lowering springs, they drop ship them from Spring Tech. Chasistech.com also does business as Airbagit.com, Streetridepro.com & Truckinsuspension.com. They are all the same company! Do not trust these bastards! Their products are cheap & more often than not, you don't get what you actually order in the first place! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This is how I have always set the gain on my amps without a oscope:

Most audio equipment dies for one simple reason. Most people push their equipment beyond its limits. Whether it is the amplifier, subwoofer or full range speakers, clipping is the number one cause of failure. To prevent clipping, use this tutorial.

To figure out what voltage you should set the gains to, multiply the RMS power of the amplifiers output by the impedance of the speaker, then find the square root of that number. If you are using an amplifier that has an RMS rating of more than your speaker(s) can handle/rated for, then use the RMS rating of the speaker (instead of the RMS of the amplifier) to determine the voltage to set your amp to. This is also referred to as gaining down.

Gain Setting Equation

Voltage of the output = sqrt(RMS Power X impedance of the speaker)

Example

Say the amp provides 2700WRMS into a 2 ohm speaker: (zx2500.1 & solo x 2 ohm load)

Voltage = sqrt(2700W X 2 ohms)

Voltage = sqrt(5400W)

Voltage = 73.5V

Again, that was only an example for this zx 2500.1, use the ratings of your amp to figure that out.

Setting the Gain(s)

To set the gain(s), you need two things:

1. A DMM (digital multi-meter) that is capable of measuring AC voltage (needs to be able to measure up to a range of 200V).

2. A test tone CD to use to set the gains at the correct setting.

Now, to set the gain(s):

1. Start the vehicle, and pop the test tone CD in the head unit.

2. DO NOT hook up the sub(s) or speaker(s) to the amplifier while doing this, just leave the outputs unused (unhook your speaker wires) at this time.

3. Now, time to set up the head unit.

a. Turn your radio up to the loudest setting that you will be playing it @, set your bass boost, loudness, ect. on your radio, use those settings. NEVER turn the headunit above 3/4 of the maximum volume.

b. Remember to have the car turned on.

c. If you want to use bass boost on a sub amp, set it prior to setting the gains on the amp and use the center frequency of the bass boost (45 Hz for most amps) as your test tone.

d. Please remember that if you have a subwoofer volume control on the headunit and/or a bass knob for the amplifier, set it to the maximum before you set the gains on the sub amp.

4. Take the leads from the DMM and but them on the speaker outputs from the amp.

5. Set the gain so that the outputs of the amplifier equal the voltage you found above. This is pretty important. If you set your gain higher than the voltage you calculated, you will be sending a clipped signal to your speakers.

This should get you very close to your clipping point of your amp. If you have access to an oscope you can get it perfect because you will be able to see the sine wave of the test tone note.

dj2q.jpg

ATTENTION ALL SMD MEMBERS: Do not under any circumstance buy anything from Chassistech! They do not stand behind their products & their customer service is horrible. They do not actually manufacture lowering springs, they drop ship them from Spring Tech. Chasistech.com also does business as Airbagit.com, Streetridepro.com & Truckinsuspension.com. They are all the same company! Do not trust these bastards! Their products are cheap & more often than not, you don't get what you actually order in the first place! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

If it got hot as soon as the amp was turned on it's probably worth checking for DC offset on the amp as well... does the cone pop in or out at all when the amp is switched on?

i cant remember but as soon i ternd on the bass it it smeld like burning wd-40,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like befour 1 or 2 bump's

02g power wire

sundown saz 3500

digital desing 95F

selenium

mechman alt. 250 amp

Well did you get it set?

dj2q.jpg

Well GIMNICK called kicker today. The kicker tech asked what the preout voltage on the deck was. It a pioneer premier F90BT with 5 volt preouts. Then he asked how high the gain was turned up, 3/4 of the way up! The tech said, "are you stupid"? LOL Apparently the zx2500.1 only accepts up to a 5 volt signal & he sais that the gain should be turned up no more than 1/4 of the way or we would clip the shit out of the speaker! DAMN! He said to use the bass boost rather than the gain. Interesting shit!

Heres my 2 cents... I have 2 12" solo x's powered by a KX2500.1 and a audiocontrol four.1 which gives 9.5 volts rms to the amp, my kicker rep told me to have the gain almost off, not more than 1/16 turned up, and audiocontrol said the exact same thing, I brutaly beat the shit out of those subs one day, and no clipping......however, i just tried the gain at 1/4 and I just clipped.....

yeah, the best thing to do is to set your gains with an oscope. Most guys don't have access to an oscope though. The next best thing to do would be to follow the process that posted above to set your gains with a volt meter. The more preout voltage coming out of your radio, the less you will have to turn up your gain on your amp.

dj2q.jpg

i had similar problem with L7 and it was a bad amp ,had voltege going to sub's

hope i help,,,,good luck

every amp outputs voltage (ac), but clipping is dc voltage.

My headunit puts out 4v the t10001bd takes a maximum of 4v...my gains = 0.....and that's where your should be.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Archived