Alts & Batteries

Im not into the whole amperage scene yet in my learning.

So I was wondering if there is a way to tell or maybe an information chart based on how many amps or what types of batteries / alternators you need for so many watts. I had a stock alternator and 3 3100's running 2 BTL's and 2 Loudspeakers. I don't want to spend the extra money on batteries or alternators if I dont need them nor does anyone so can anyone help on this situation ?

remarkableflexsig.jpg

Im not into the whole amperage scene yet in my learning.

So I was wondering if there is a way to tell or maybe an information chart based on how many amps or what types of batteries / alternators you need for so many watts. I had a stock alternator and 3 3100's running 2 BTL's and 2 Loudspeakers. I don't want to spend the extra money on batteries or alternators if I dont need them nor does anyone so can anyone help on this situation ?

A stock alternator will "work" with a whole lot of battery capacity, you just have to wait longer to get the battery voltage back up after playing at full tilt. You will also be starting off at or below battery voltage (about 13V) so it won't be as loud at it could be, but it will work. This is why it is impossible to just have a "chart" that shows what the "optium" battery/alternator combo would be for X amount of watts. There is way too much variance in what is acceptable. What will "work" is not the same as what is "optimum". On anything over 4K watts, yo ucould use every bit of 3 high output alternators can produce at idle and full temperature. As a general rule of thumb, it is almost impossible to have too much alternator. I would upgrade your batteries first (you will need them anyway, even with high amperage alternators) and see how you like the performace of the system. If voltage drops too quickly for your taste, then start adding alternator capacity as your budget allows.

Mech

Archived