Better Spl With A T-line Or Vented Box?

I unfortunately :sorry: am not the folded horn guy - I usually do them just by winging it, and doing a best guess on horn area, angle, etc

The bandpass on the other hand, think higher tuning, and you will see a lower peak number, with a higher DB gain

A Bandpass tline what I do is just start the line off at about 50% of SD, and work up to 125- 150% SD of woofer, sealed side about QTS x's Vas, if it seems to small, well probably not a great woofer for the bandpass design

I have dome mostly 10" and 15" tline band passes, and 10" subs on average work great with about 0.75- 1cf sealed, and the 15s Ive done have been about 2cf sealed

I plan on doing a 18" some day... lol I' am lazy as hell

- But with the fact that you are tuning higher, and using a small sealed box, the total box area ends up being about the same size as if you did a full length tline, but with a much lower quarter wave point

I promise to start a build log soon for a 18" I have quite a few 18s here to mess with

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

so basically the sub will load in the small chamber before is hits the port?

yeah, cone still firing in the same location, your just sealing off the back side of the woofer to control the total Q, and power handling, etc

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I agree, if going for SPL, do ported

But if you want to be different, do a tline, or horn

In all of my experience, and in 2 years of testing using a combination of bb6.0 LEAP/LMS programs, and lots of RTAs, and spl metering, I have documented 150 box designs from sealed, to dual tuned bandpass, horn, tlines, passive radiators, and out of every box I built, the tline was the most sensitive to power- It got loudest with least amount of power, but there was 2 sacrifices

max input power, and size

But since I worked for that shop, and had access to all the equipment there, I have messed with bandpass tlines which have gotten louder than conventional tlines, and take more power

But with the little $99 500w amp I was using in recent times to power the bandpass tline I had, anyone here that heard it will attest, that was damn loud for a $99 amp, and 8 gauge run to the amp

I sold the box to a lurker here on the forum, and he has a Memphis 4kw, and a 15" TREO he will attempt some comps here shortly with that same box

see if he can pull off a 149 bassrace

sundown.jpg

can be like alan dante and do an 8th order bandpass...dont see those every day

not that i'm much use, but my t-line experiment sounded friggin great, I never thought a little 8inch could play 30-35hz so well, and still make snappy 70-90hz drum beats, but like it was saidd before, it wasnt terribly loud and the power handeling was killed (it was 250rms, damned if I could get 200 before bottominig out.)

imo, a good ported box would be the best bet for strict spl...especially if you are willing to tune higher

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Archived