Need Help...*6/11 Update-i'm Sorta Fixed*

had the Wife take the Computer to her work (Works for a vocational school that has computer/computer repair classes)....Callled me this morning and dude says the motherboard is done.....They hooked another video card and still nothing. So he says he can get it fixed and make it faster for $150......Told the Wife to pay him and just get it done...I need my computer back.

Will I loose all my pictures and documents when he replaces the motherboard? I have everything on that thing. Thanks again for those of you that tried to help me out, I'll keep this updated. :8)

if the "repair'er" is good, he will be able to keep all data and make a smooth transition. *BUT* typically with a new motherboard comes a new motherboard chipset, and upon first boot on a new chipset with an OLD OS install, the operating system (windows im assuming) will realize this, and want you to update chipset drivers, and this is where things might get hairy. All might go great on install, but it is that dreaded 2nd/3rd reboot out of no-where you start getting BSOD's upon boot up. The best by far is to do a fresh format and start all over again. I you want, buy a new HDD and keep your old one UNTOUCHED, install everything new on the new HDD....OS and everything, once all is done, install your old HDD, and you'll have all your doc/pix/vids/etc..... all back.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Yeah depends how much the CPU changes - sometimes the HAL will freak out and it'll BSOD every time it boots.

Buying a new HDD is a somewhat good idea, never hurts to have a second one anyway and they're cheap as chips now.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got my computer back up and running....The guy gave me two discs with "most" everything on there but I'm missing things like my favorites which really sucks....Got all my pictures and Itunes is re-installed. The problem I'm having now is the text on THIS site is really, really small. I have it set to largest and everywhere else (yahoo, Termpro, Comcast) its nice and big but for this site I can barely see it.

Doesn't matter whether I change it...it just stays small. :8)