Second Skin Audio

Question About Dual Voice Coil

Amalan

ok i get with like a single voice coil on a magnet you have a voice coil wrapped around a south magnet with a north pole in the middle and field around the voice coil pushes the speaker up and down when the current alternates and the field goes either clockwise or counterclock wise around the voice coil. now im wondering how the does that work with a dual voice coil sub? are the voice coils overlapping each other and the current going in different directions so they work together or something? im really confused can someone explain this to me lol my right hand rule kinda gets eliminated with this so im confuzzled

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think each additional VC is wound right over the top or the previous one. (overlapping) But they are wound the same way so the polarities match up therefore yes, they do work together.

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

i dont get how that works tho i mean even if they did alternate the current for the voice coils seperately it seems like that wouldnt work? unless the current is flowing in the opposite direction on one voice coil than the other

Not really, since you either connect both VC's in parallel or series (they get the same signal) or one VC at a time. either way they function "in sync" and operate at the exact same time together. Just think of it as 2 separate subs wire to a mono amp, they get the exact same signal at the exact same time so they are louder than just one. now put both coils from them in just one sub, the 2nd coil would be adding to the first therefore improving output as well. Like you said, all an amplified signal is to a woofer is ALTERNATING CURRENT but since both coils are connected to the same source for that signal, they work simultaniously.

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

All in a CAR.

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

All in a CAR.

Nope. If it did, then the coils would be wired out of phase & the speaker wouldn't know which way to move the cone since it's getting 2 different signals. Pretty much to explain it simply, both coils have to be getting the same signal all the time, unless you only use 1 of them. Its kinda like a clogged drain. Say we have equal strength, i'm pushing down while you're pushing it from the back. If we have equal strength, the clog isn't going anywhere because one person is working the OPPOSITE of the other. Same goes for the DVC sub, if one of the coils worked in reverse then it would pick and choose which way to move for whatever gave the stronger "push" (or signal)

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

All in a CAR.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

Archived