Second Skin Audio

Box For 8" Kicker Cvr's

My brother wants me to put a little (and i mean little) system in his car. So I was thinking I'd go with 2 cvr 8's, the 05 model (only $45 bucks each, and he likes em, so I'm fine with it).

My question, the kicker manual says that in a ported box the 8's can only handle 75 watts each. I was planning on running 220 watts to each one. I know subs in ported boxes need less power to get loud, but I didn't know it reduced power handling. Anyone want to help me out here?

Also, where should i tune the box to? I was thinking around 35 hz, a little higher than i normally would because theyre only 8's.

Thanks for the help guys.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

I would go with 36-38 hz tuning, that is what mine sounded nice at when I had my regualar cab truck and wanted something simple. The tuning freq is nice to rock out w/ some nickelback, or some 3 6 mafia. They should be fine on 125-150 watts a piece and just rail like crazy. Does he already have a amp, or the subs? a memphis 250 watts m-class amp would be great. But if he is a baller on a budget this would be right around 300-325 watts because they are underrated and under 200 bux,undefined

I am not sayin buy from woofersetc.com but you can because it is a decent site, but try to buy from a memphis dealer, they are usually good people.

There is a lot of rockford fosgate amps under 300 to power those subs also

-Steven-

SMDsigbannr4.jpg

I think we're gonna go with power acoustik for the amp. 180 or so watts per channel. So I think i'm just gonna tune around 38 and set the subsonic right around 30 hz, maybe a lil more. Idk yet, but I think we're for sure going with cvr 8's, he doesnt want to spend anymore.

Subwoofer Wall

I think we're gonna go with power acoustik for the amp. 180 or so watts per channel. So I think i'm just gonna tune around 38 and set the subsonic right around 30 hz, maybe a lil more. Idk yet, but I think we're for sure going with cvr 8's, he doesnt want to spend anymore.

The cvr's are bad (good) lil' woofers. I loved mine and I am sure he will love his, but they aren't enough after a while because they are 8's and don't hit the low low freq's.

I see in your sig, you are saving up for comps, I have a set of memphis comp's sitting around gathering dust, what have you got to work w/? I only want 100 for them.

SMDsigbannr4.jpg

I'm actually in debt to the parent's $1150. :blink:

I didn't want to bother rewiring the factory amplifier, so I'm just gonna run my mids/highs amp to the stock components for a while (till they blow basically) and then I'll start lookin around. I was looking at getting a set of MB Quart Discus comps, but some Memphis comps sound attractive too. BNIB?

Subwoofer Wall

I'm actually in debt to the parent's $1150. :blink:

I didn't want to bother rewiring the factory amplifier, so I'm just gonna run my mids/highs amp to the stock components for a while (till they blow basically) and then I'll start lookin around. I was looking at getting a set of MB Quart Discus comps, but some Memphis comps sound attractive too. BNIB?

Pretty dang close to brand new in box, they were used for a week in my grand prix, before I switched to the msync style comp's. These are the msq series m-class. Carbon fibre cone and 1" tweet. I still have almost all of the wiring that came w/ it, cept a small section that I clipped off for an extension on my 6x9's.

-Steven-

SMDsigbannr4.jpg

Nice, what size are they? I was planning on glassing some door pods anyway, but I may not have time for that for a while. The stock size in my hoe is 5.75" i think.

Subwoofer Wall

I've had 3 cvr 12's. I built a ported box for the first one and then read in the manual...

Sealed RMS-400watts

Ported RMS-300watts

I was like man this is some bullshit since I have a 500 watt amp at 4 ohms. I blew two of them and returned the third, these subs get really loud without a lot of power but in my opinion sound like ass when they are really pumping and blow easily in big ported boxes. I have a shitty amp though so that might have a large amount to do with it.

Also I see you said youre thinking about a PA amp. I say go for it, I have a PA sub now and love it.

Power Acoustik fubar 12

sony xploding amp

2 ft^3 box @ 35hz