Second Skin Audio

Sub Front Loading

In a hatchback (crx) with upfiring 12 inch subs is there a best distance for sub from the hatch glass for loading the subs for spl?

I'm sure moving the box back and forth while metering is the best way but in this case it is a little difficult to do because of batterys and amp rack placement and a couple other things.

But I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb ie. 3 inches or 1 foot usually?

You are not going to get a definitive answer for this most likely. There are too many factors to determine what will work best. Why are you concerned about loading anyways? its more orientation than loading

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Thats what I thought. It really is dependent on many things I suppose. I just have a couple competitions coming up and I always like to improve with each one.

So what is the closest to the roof that is usually acceptable for suvs or hatchbacks with subs firing up is what I was wondering .

I'm using my box I had in my Ford right now. I don't think it is a very good hatch back box. it's tuned to 60ish and I have it laying on it's back with the subs and slot port up. The slot port is on the passengers side. So far that has metered the best.

It is right behind the seats and I think it should be louder if I push it back. The problem is if I do the subs and port will be only a couple inches away from the glass. It will be a lot of work changing the amps and batterys location and if it is a bad idea to begin with I'll just keep it like it is till I get a new box in a few months.

Thats what I thought. It really is dependent on many things I suppose. I just have a couple competitions coming up and I always like to improve with each one.

So what is the closest to the roof that is usually acceptable for suvs or hatchbacks with subs firing up is what I was wondering .

I'm using my box I had in my Ford right now. I don't think it is a very good hatch back box. it's tuned to 60ish and I have it laying on it's back with the subs and slot port up. The slot port is on the passengers side. So far that has metered the best.

It is right behind the seats and I think it should be louder if I push it back. The problem is if I do the subs and port will be only a couple inches away from the glass. It will be a lot of work changing the amps and batterys location and if it is a bad idea to begin with I'll just keep it like it is till I get a new box in a few months.

As far as dBDrag is concerned, you have to worry about the box or any part of the system being above the window line. That will determine your class as far as it being a wall or no wall.

60hZ eh? That's pretty damn high, but should perform decent (on music) if the port is very close to the window. And you said it metered the highest? Against what?

I would suggest building a couple different boxes if you have time and try some more tunings. 60hZ is usually better than say 30hZ, but have you tried 45? 50? 55?

Get what I'm sayin? You'll have a better musical response from tuning lower and possibly hitting higher numbers closer to your peak on the meter.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Neo_frog

[email protected]

sorry to threadjack but NEO did you leave or are u still @ home?

I'm at the base training to leave, somewhat close to home. We leave country in July.

[email protected]

As far as dBDrag is concerned, you have to worry about the box or any part of the system being above the window line. That will determine your class as far as it being a wall or no wall.

It's for unsactioned local competitions for now and they are pretty lax about that kind of stuff.

60hZ eh? That's pretty damn high, but should perform decent (on music) if the port is very close to the window. And you said it metered the highest? Against what?

It metered highest on an audiocontrol meter. I tried it firing forward- 149 db, Then firing up- 150 db, Then port on passenger side up- 152 db.

I would suggest building a couple different boxes if you have time and try some more tunings. 60hZ is usually better than say 30hZ, but have you tried 45? 50? 55?

I agree this box was built for a different car, Right now my loudest frequency is 54 with that high tuned box. I am having a box made soon. I am going to try putting a sealed 10 in it and find the cars freq and tune 5 hertz lower for a start. And am going with removable aero's so I can tune lower for daily.

Congratulations on having a CRX!! Those cars are hands down among the loudest I've personally built boxes for.

With those cars, you should definitely keep all your subs and the port as close as possible to the back of the car.

Here is a Crx test box (before carpeting) I tried a last week for (4) JL 12W3s on a 1000/1 tuned to 28hz and is already a legend in that little car (144-ish). All 4 subs are crammed into the back part of the car. The next unlimited bass box I build for a crx will have the port between the top two subs with the braces integrated into the port.

IMG00135.jpg

IMG00133.jpg

IMG00127.jpg

IMG00126.jpg

IMG00129.jpg

IMG00138.jpg