Sonic Electronix

I have a single 12" Boston Acoustics G2 w/ Sealed Enclosure.

It's the perfect system for me for I am not really into competition level.

I've had them for about 1 and a half week and I just did a lot of reading saying that it is best to break in new component speakers?

Basically, getting the voice coil all loose?

Well, I'm "trying' to break in my speaker, but, it's a bit difficult. :rolleyes:

I would have my volume at 8 (out of 40) and my speakers just bangs~ :hairtrick:

So I'm worried that I'm pushing too much power...

So I volume it down to 7, but then the subwoofer is barely playing.

(I have the subwoofer setting at: -4/6 )

Basically, I can play 10x stronger then I have at the moment.

But, because I'm too scared about "blowing" up my sub, I hesitate to turn up my sub higher then 0/6

I always see people pushin' their subs but I'm scared to with mine.

Even at the sub control at -4/6, I am deeply satisfied with how much sound it produces. (Especially volume @ 8)

All I want to do is turn up my volume @ 12 and sub controls to about the positive range out of 6.

Future Reference:

- My mono kenwood amp and sub has the same ohm level.

- The amp powers about the same RMS as the sub as well.

What do you guys think?

Even the volume @ 8, I feel like, if I play music long enough, the voice coil is just going to die out.

(FYI: the sub produces very clean sound with no distortion.)

This is my first subwoofer and because of the differences between my factory sub (that I took out) and the Boston Acoustics, I guess you can say I was taken in by such a shock to see such drastic changes in the bass. I believe it's because it's my first sub, that I do not understand the capability of how much bass a single sub can produce, so I hesitate to turn it up.

What is your guy's view on this?

Perhaps I am underestimating my subwoofer? :pardon:

Details:

AMP: Kenwood

- Mono Amplifier

- 300 watts RMS x 1 @ 2-ohms

Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics G2 12"

- 12" Dual Voice-Coil

- 2-ohm

- 100 - 300 watts RMS

*Even though I may be satisfied with my current settings, I definitly wouldn't mind turning up a notch!

Thank you all for answering~

Edited by dbqkqh

do you have LOUD on? and have you set your gains using a DMM? i know its not the best way *o-scope is from what ive seen* but here is the chart...

rmschartpm5.jpg

also you can get the 50hz test tone to use at www.realmofexcursion.com

let us know if it still does it

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

your gonna need a votmeter and a clean 50 hz tone set the gain on the amp all the way down then turn ur headunit up about 3/4 (if the speakers handle it) and set the sub level at 0. play the 50 hz tone and put the voltmeter on AC volts and place it on the outputs of the amps and since volts is the root of watts times ohms youll need about 24 volts so just turn the gain up until it gets to 24 AC volts.

EDIT: army guy posted while i was typin lol

Edited by basshead4life

Team S.M.D.

Maritime Car Audio- (2) 18" SSA ZCON D1

- American Bass 500.1

- 60 ft of 3/0

-480 Ah of battery

- (2) stock alternators (70 +90)

- Kenwood Excelon x-794, 4v preouts

car audio is just a LOT more complicated than "this amp does this power" or "this sub will be this loud". its like 2 + 2 = banana. (if that confuses you then you get the point) lol

!!

Thanks so much for the advice/tips. !

I really appreciate it~ however, I had it professionaly tuned from my buddy's friend whose been doing these stuff for over 20 years. ~

Besides the gain and all them goodies, it's not much of a worry.

I just forgot to ask him how far I can push. :P

So my thread is basically asking if it is safe to turn up my volume?

But yeah, It would be nice if I had one of those meter things to see the capability.

It wasn't professionally tuned if you are maxing out at 8/40 unless your head unit clips at 8 which I highly doubt. Something they didn't do right would be the only explanation to it. If you turn the volume past that do you hear clipping?

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

yeah man, if at 8 its already super loud, go get a DMM from autozone for like 20 bucks, and set it like how that says and see if it sounds different

Team DC Audio

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

It wasn't professionally tuned if you are maxing out at 8/40 unless your head unit clips at 8 which I highly doubt. Something they didn't do right would be the only explanation to it. If you turn the volume past that do you hear clipping?

Quick Question:

What is "clipping"

The problem that I have is basically, is with myself.

I'm too "scared" to turn it up. I feel like I'm not pushing my sub to its capability.

Once again, I am very new to this audio world and you may say that I have, "virgin ears" when it comes down to subwoofers. These are my first singles and I get like this feeling that I don't want to push it any more higher. Due to my fear, never experiencing with an after-market component speaker, that it may "blow".

How about this:

I will tune my headunit and try to play it loud.

Can anyone explain to me what I should look for and when I should stop when raising up my volume & the bass controls?

Thank you Soulman07 with your reply. I learned something new.

And thanks to those for future reference that may answer in my thread!

Clipping is distortion.. if you hear really punchy bass and around 7-8 then turn it up and it starts to sound *muddy* i guess you can call it, you know its clipping... its very bad for your subs and can fry them if your not careful

turn it up to 15 and see if it sounds muddy, a few seconds up that high shouldnt really harm it.... then turn it down.. i would really check your gains tho with the DMM tho bro

*edit* are you in ohio? i can have a look man if you are in the columbus area

Edited by Army_guy614

Team DC Audio

yeah man, if at 8 its already super loud, go get a DMM from autozone for like 20 bucks, and set it like how that says and see if it sounds different

Yeah, I defiently don't have a problem with my current setup, but I feel a "need" to see how much power can be pushed :P

:db: I'm just very curious since I am fairly new at this whole type of stuff.

And the DMM, I will definitly look into it. Thank you !

just thought about it... it could sound like its really really loud because you dont have the mids/highs to compensate for the bass that you have added now as well... so maybe get a little 100w amp to put on your door speakers would help even the bass to vocal ratio as well

Team DC Audio