Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Is It Necessary To Seal The Trunk From The Cabin?


SQMonte

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a Monte Carlo that i'm putting a system in and the box is ported on the front face. I was told that I should completely seal off the trunk from the cabin to get the best results. I'm not gonna be running any rear fill so the bass will enter via said openings in the rear deck. So is it really necessary to seal off the trunk and if so, why? What will I gain/lose if I do/don't?

Every car I've had I've never done that, when I really want to slam I'll just drop the back seat down, with it up it's a bit quieter but that's fine by me. Is that the only thing that will be addressed by sealing off the trunk?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Posted

i would only seal it from the trunk if you have them facing inside the cabin from the rear seats. i believe it's better to have the sub/port facing towards the trunk to give it something to load off of, in which you would not want to seal it of

 

 

Posted
i would only seal it from the trunk if you have them facing inside the cabin from the rear seats. i believe it's better to have the sub/port facing towards the trunk to give it something to load off of, in which you would not want to seal it of
The box is going to be in the trunk facing the back of the backseat.

Having them firing towards the deck lid would be ideal for me because my subs would be fully visible (the top 3" of them would be covered by the frame of the opening of the backseat if I had them firing forward) and I could then use that open space for the amp rack.

I think I just might have to put the box in there and listen to how it sounds both ways and go from there. I know firing them towards the deck lid will result in more rattles and what not, but if it sounds better inside that way then I'll just have to handle those rattles.

So what is the point of sealing it off? I guess i'm not understanding that part.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3268 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...