Linux 9.04 - I Think Im Done With Windows Forever!

Well as some of you know Linux 9.04 just came out and I have messed around with older versions plus I use backtrack3 on a daily basis for my job. I have never dug deep into Ubuntu to see what it had to offer until 9.04. I have a Quadcore Amd box running sli with 4gb of memory and although windows is great for its compatibility with games and other software I see a trend with viruses that seems to be getting worse and worse.

So after reading about "Wine" a program that allows you to run a lot of but not all 32bit programs on Ubuntu I decided to install it 9.04 fully and run it native. The first thing I notice is that it boots almost immediately and is very robust. I haven't been able to get all the games and software that I use to work with wine but the fact that it's impossible to get a virus with linux(At least one that can do any damage) I think I am done with windows. If you haven't tried Ubuntu(Linux) before I highly recommend it. You can download it from ubuntu.com and burn it to disk and run it without installing it fully just to try it out.

Ps. It has built in firefox, openoffice, a torrent client, and a ton of other multimedia software built. You can't beat free!

Edited by Cr@sh

For those interested, download the ISO and burn it to a cd. You can run Ubuntu right off of the CD! Once you're done with your session, reboot, take the disk out, and you can boot into windows.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

nothing against ubuntu as I have tried it...... but bleh!

IF I go back to Linux, it'll be PcLinuxOS as usual. Reason I say if is due to me running windows 7 right now without any problems at all.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

I have never used linux for a day to day usable OS, but im sure it has come a long way..........WIN7 is doing great for me over here. I have it installed on everything. Desktops (2) and my notebook. Win7 will have a great future.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

A few weeks ago I was given a 5 year old dell with TONS of viruses/malware running windows XP. It was used as an office PC just to run Microsoft Office and Explorer, with a Pentium 4, 40g hard drive, and 256mb of ram- crap graphics card etc.

I wiped the hard drive, tossed an extra gig of ram in with the 256 of DDR that was already there and reformatted the hard drive with Ubuntu 9.04 as the OS. It loads faster than the computer I bought about a month ago with 4 gigs of ram and a quad core AMD. It loads very extensive sites faster than my other two Windows computers (XP and Vista), and as you said is very stable. I just plan on using it as a practice server before uploading potential work to the real server me and a buddy will be using. It serves it's purpose well and imo outperforms two other computers I use that are at least 4-5 years newer for daily activities.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3