Sonic Electronix

Overheating Amp?... *gut Pics*

so i have my RF 200a4 i bought from a member off of here. and ive been running into issues with the amp heating up to about 110F. it doesnt matter if im playing quiet music, full tilt, or just running it with no music playing on Vol 0.

what can cause this to happen because i am absolutely clueless

Edited by Krannyman92

I don't think 110 on the outside is too much to ask, depending on the setup and how it is installed.

make sure all connections are secure and correct 1st.

Then I would get a cheap ol temp gun and hit different spots on the board after it's warm to see where your getting heat from.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Be sure to check and make sure your ground is nice and secure and free of any paint. Friends amp got so hot that if you were to touch it...basically like touching a stove top. I fixed his ground and it now operates at the right temperature.

1999 Chevy Tahoe

Level 4 15"

AP 3000d

Rockford and Phoenix Gold Componets

T400.2

Mechman 250 amp Rhino

2 Kinetik 2400

GET LOUD : STAY LOUD : SLAP RESPONSIBLY

my friend had a 800a4 and it used to heat up like a bitch too...... idk if it normal or not but his worked fine....

Head Unit: Pioneer Premier Deh-600ub

Front Stage: (2) Whip Audio 8" Mid-Bass (2) Whip Auido 6" Mid & (2) Audiopipe ATX-3720

Amps: (2) Cadence TXA300-4 :D

Amp Kit: Knukonceptz

Coming Soon: already ordered

Sub: 2 DD T1508's

Amp: Sundown saz-1500

Tired of the lag? Come get crunk!

If the warranty stickers are gone and the amp runs real I bet you dollars to donuts that some idiot has fucked with the bias trimpots. I have no idea how to set them for that amp, you'll need a service manual or try RF, you can set them with just a multimeter once you know where the test points are.

EDIT: Mhmm, looking closely at the pics it looks like they're all cranked all the way anticlockwise, wanna try turning one slightly and see if they are indeed turned all the way up?

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Lay some new terminal grease down under the transistors. Is it getting so hot to the touch that it burns or just getting warm.. 110 doesnt sound too hot.

You can't on Rockfords. They have MEHSA, the transistors are soldered to that PCB-looking thing.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

If the warranty stickers are gone and the amp runs real I bet you dollars to donuts that some idiot has fucked with the bias trimpots. I have no idea how to set them for that amp, you'll need a service manual or try RF, you can set them with just a multimeter once you know where the test points are.

EDIT: Mhmm, looking closely at the pics it looks like they're all cranked all the way anticlockwise, wanna try turning one slightly and see if they are indeed turned all the way up?

what does a bias trimpot do? im guessing its the little black circular thing on the board with the phillips shaped hole in the middle