Sonic Electronix

Overheating Amp?... *gut Pics*

all 4 of the trimpots are turned half way, i moved them all the way counter clockwise then clockwise and they were set at the half way point

I don't think 110 on the outside is too much to ask, depending on the setup and how it is installed.

make sure all connections are secure and correct 1st.

Then I would get a cheap ol temp gun and hit different spots on the board after it's warm to see where your getting heat from.

i did the temp gun thing a while ago and it was coming from the power supply/cap area

Edited by Krannyman92

Yea I know. Under the board is what I ment.

But is the amp just warm to the touch or does it burn?

its pretty warm to the touch, im kinda sensitive to heat but i cant keep my hand on it for more than 5 seconds or so (110F)

*update* i redid the ground to the frame, sanded off all paint to bare metal, and put a new lug on it. and the amp stays the same temperature...do you think its heating up because my box takes up half the trunk and my seats cant fold down?

Edited by Krannyman92

*update* i redid the ground to the frame, sanded off all paint to bare metal, and put a new lug on it. and the amp stays the same temperature...do you think its heating up because my box takes up half the trunk and my seats cant fold down?

that could be the problem

i used to have an amp just like that an it always got hot an then i sold it to a good buddy of mine an he put 2 q power 15's on it an it would get so hot it would blister your hand if you touch it an a full can of pop roled on to it an he did not know an it blew up and sprayed every were. i would prolly say its normal for it an if you have it some were were the heat is trap and it cant get air that could be part of it to

RFs older amps had a thermal technique they used that would make the heatsink run very hot pulling the heat from internal components keeping them cooler. this is normal and how they were engineered.

ive owned and ran several older RF amps and noticed the same thing. so imo nothing to worry about

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

a bias pot determines how long an amp stays in a certain type of class basically.

can get very technical, but say u have a class a/b amp the bias pot determines how long it stay in class a

so more a-bias.

the hotter or (longer) its in a-bias the hotter it will run

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

a bias pot determines how long an amp stays in a certain type of class basically.

can get very technical, but say u have a class a/b amp the bias pot determines how long it stay in class a

so more a-bias.

oh SNAPS, somebody got a new avatar.

Very nice sir :hairtrick:

Official Scores at the Dash. and YES. My Bass Boxing is louder than Burp! - 155.5 DB Drag Burp- 155.6 - IASCA Bass Boxing on music (30 seconds straight) sealed up Builds 1. The Acura Integra build = http://www.stevemead...s/page__st__6802. BLK SIN Build = http://www.stevemead...w-pics-10-6-07/

RFs older amps had a thermal technique they used that would make the heatsink run very hot pulling the heat from internal components keeping them cooler. this is normal and how they were engineered.

ive owned and ran several older RF amps and noticed the same thing. so imo nothing to worry about

ok. so im just worrying over nothing then since its normal. thanks for all the help guys

so more a-bias.

thats confusing...what would happen, hypothetically, if i turned all 4 trimpots counterclockwise?

Edited by Krannyman92