Ok so I'm building my show/comp car and the electrical is one of the first things that needs to be done.

From a build on here I saw, too my understanding if you use kinetiks triple post 16v batteries you can daisy chain the 12v posts together and then to another 12v battery if needed for your cars peripherals and your 12v portion of your audio system (high end amps etc).

The car is an 87 oldsmobile 88 station wagon. I already have a 170 amp mechman alt that I can put on it, so I have the option of running the mechman 12v alt and a 16v alt for two separate changing systems, or just one 16v alt on the way I stated above.

System will be for now (4) RD Alpha v.2's on a DAT 8.1 I will most likely upgrade later and add two more 15's and another 8.1

The shop I use to work for has 2 Kinetik HC16v batteries sitting up there that I could get pretty soon.

What do you guys think?

to push a 8.1 you are going to need more than one alt and two batts to push the system and its not recommended to use the 12v post on those batts but it can be done if you really want to do 16v i would get two 16v alts that can charge 19.8v or 19.4 i forget what it is to charge a 16v battery and pick up four+ 16v kinetiks and not use the 12v side as much as possible i know the car will use the 12v but dont run a bunch of acceries(sp) at one time but the ideal thing to do would be to get two alts one 12v for the car and one 16v for your batts and system i hope this helps a little

Roseville, CA

More volts = more power! plain and simple! Just make sure you wire everything up appropriately, Most cars have a 16v limit as far as voltage would go. I know nothing about the kinetik 16 volt batteries but I've seen other people use step down modules for 16-12. I've also heard a few people at my local shop say that said that the batteries swell up over time using both sides. They ran into a ton of warranty issues with the swelling and stopped selling the the 16s. They still stock normal sizes though, I have yet to hear any horror stories about powermaster batteries(as far as this forum and ca.com goes) You would need a stepdown module then. Which would probably be best anyway.

Edited to correct I've also heard a few people at my local shop say that said that the batteries swell up over time using both sides.

Edited by Soulman07

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

More volts = more power! plain and simple! Just make sure you wire everything up appropriately, Most cars have a 16v limit as far as voltage would go. I know nothing about the kinetik 16 volt batteries but I've seen other people use step down modules for 16-12. I've also heard a few people at my local shop say that said that the batteries swell up over time using both sides. They ran into a ton of warranty issues with the swelling and stopped selling the the 16s. They still stock normal sizes though, I have yet to hear any horror stories about powermaster batteries(as far as this forum and ca.com goes) You would need a stepdown module then. Which would probably be best anyway.

Edited to correct I've also heard a few people at my local shop say that said that the batteries swell up over time using both sides.

A 16v set up would require a 18+ volt alt and if you went the module route you may need several as they handle 25 amps cont and 50 amps max.

A 16v set up would require a 18+ volt alt and if you went the module route you may need several as they handle 25 amps cont and 50 amps max.

Not necessarily a 18+ volt alternator, just an external regulator that's adjustable. Most you can adjust from 13-20. Most cars come factory with what? 70-100 amp alternators? The idea of daisy chaining a few stepdown modules vs replacing batteries seems a bit more logical to me.

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

Well I already have (3) Kinetik HC2000's.

My A/C compressor is locked up, and the smog pump mounted right below it run off the same belt. I don't need A/c considering this is for show/comp, and I live in Arkansas where there is no inspection and the smog pump is not required.

With some custom bracketing I can mount two more 12v alts right there, then just buy more kinetiks. That will give me a total of (3) 12v alts, and however many batteries I need (Station wagon has plenty of room...battery bank is not a problem at this point)

That was my first idea, but then I thought of a 16v system so I decided to just throw it out there and get some views on it.

(3) 12v alts sound better with a large battery bank?

Less confusion and less $$$$ in the long run. You'd always have the option to get an adjustable regulator for those alternators though. So it's not really a total loss. Two high output units charging a 16v battery bank vs 3 12 volt high output units is the simple question man. I'm no math wiz but, I'd go with the bank of 16 volt batteries and two alternators myself personally. A 4 volt difference goes aloooooooooooooooooooooooooong way on the meter

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

Not necessarily a 18+ volt alternator, just an external regulator that's adjustable. Most you can adjust from 13-20. Most cars come factory with what? 70-100 amp alternators? The idea of daisy chaining a few stepdown modules vs replacing batteries seems a bit more logical to me.

It would have to be 18v to charge the 16v batteries. If you end up needing multiple modules wouldnt you just be better off applying that cost into a second alt to run a 12v system? Seems logical to me.