Sundown Audio

Strapping 4 amps???

97maxima

hhr- i know the maxxlink controls the signal and has nothing to do with output, you can set both amps with it. ive used one before and feel as tho i have a grasp on that part. at the time the 2 amps i was running were not strappable out of the box as alot of amps are these crunch pzi.3000.1 were not. as far as 2 per coil, that may bethe othe route to take but would the woofer fail. if you did that with a maxxlink youd have 2 pair being controled by the unit but from what ive heard you would not want to run to pair per coil because it would basicly be the same as running say 2 non strappable amps on one woofer, one amp per coil. 2 amps rarely make the same output at a set hz. i see what your saying about the specialy made amps running parrel to achive what i was originaly speaking of

The point of the maxxlink was to allow 2 non strappable amps to be connected to one voice coil.

If you were connecting them to seperate voice coils there isnt a need to strap them.

Strapping refers to bridging 2 outputs into one load, same as bridging a 2ch amp to mono.

The maxxlink makes sure the signal is all synced up so the make the same signal and power but you still have to gain match the amps by measuring the output and adjusting them to match.

But if you have strappable amps with a slave/master, this is all automatic and you dont need a maxxlink.

The woofer will only blow if you dont have the gains matched and or the power is too much for the woofer.

Also, the JBL had an option to series bridge the output for lower ohm loads, or if your sub was a higher ohm load you could parallel bridge and achieve the same power.

Edited by HHR Ed

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

The point of the maxxlink was to allow 2 non strappable amps to be connected to one voice coil.

If you were connecting them to seperate voice coils there isnt a need to strap them.

Strapping refers to bridging 2 outputs into one load, same as bridging a 2ch amp to mono.

The maxxlink makes sure the signal is all synced up so the make the same signal and power but you still have to gain match the amps by measuring the output and adjusting them to match.

But if you have strappable amps with a slave/master, this is all automatic and you dont need a maxxlink.

The woofer will only blow if you dont have the gains matched and or the power is too much for the woofer.

Also, the JBL had an option to series bridge the output for lower ohm loads, or if your sub was a higher ohm load you could parallel bridge and achieve the same power.

exactly i could not explain it any better. i was running a quad 2.

American Bass*DC Power

Man I would think gain matching be hella hard cuz usually amps don't even put out the same power always off by a little.. Any slight difference isn't good.. Guess bust out an o scope and tweek on it

Passport Build Here

Alarm: Prestige APS997A 2-Way/Remote Start

HeadUnit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Front Battery: Yellowtop Optima D34/78

Back Battery: 2x C&D Technologies High Rate Series UPS12-475FR 134AH

Subs: 2x DC Lv4XL 18's

Amps: 2x Sundown Saz1500's Strapped

Box: 12Cubes 33hz 185sqin Port(15.4sqin per cube)

Pillars: AudioBahn AS31Q

Front Doors: Clif Designs TX40.5

Back Doors: Clif Designs CD50.4C

Rear Speakers: Clif Designs TX46.5

Front/Rear Amp: Kicker ZX350.4

Back/Pillars Amp: Kicker ZX200.2(Looking for another zx350.4)

Electrical: 1/0 Scorpion Wire 2 Runs Pos and 2Runs Ground, Knu 1/0 Flex Running to Amps ect, Big 3, JL 8Ga For Speaker Wire, Knu Karma RCA's, Scorpion Volt Meter

Deadener: 100 sqft Sound Destroyer Mat And SECOND SKIN Damplifier Pro Door Pack

a few years ago, US Amps was working on a multiple amp strapping, i think they got 6 amps to strap together, however, it was extremely unstable. Also, it is illegal in DB Drag to strap that many amps together (i thinks).

If you could afford to buy 4 amps, couldn't you just buy 2 bigger amps and strap those 2 together? instead of buying 4 2000D amps, buy 2 4000D amps.

Keep things simple, less chance for failures.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

a few years ago, US Amps was working on a multiple amp strapping, i think they got 6 amps to strap together, however, it was extremely unstable. Also, it is illegal in DB Drag to strap that many amps together (i thinks).

If you could afford to buy 4 amps, couldn't you just buy 2 bigger amps and strap those 2 together? instead of buying 4 2000D amps, buy 2 4000D amps.

Keep things simple, less chance for failures.

Foo, i said i was courious. at best i see myself running 2 but not four. this was basicly something i was just interested in

American Bass*DC Power

Easy slugger, yes technically it can be done. Its unstable and will become costly for repairs.

Good luck with ur amps

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)