Completely frustrated, install going nowhere!

I'm BEGGING for anyones help and advice, This is all totally and completely new to me, and I know I've undertaken quite a design, so I def. need guidance from those who are experienced.

Not to mention if I can actually complete this it will help so many others. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent and search terms I've tried to find amp racks being built, and for some reason I can't turn up shit on the subject...nothing definitive anyway and nothing with pics of anything other than the finished product.

So I'm actually pretty happy that I've got this far, but it did take me almost a year to figure out how I was going to do it, and I still don't know what I'm doing.

how is the amp going to mount to the frame? On top, or are you going to try and make the top of the amp flush with the top of the frame?

if its going on top, id start with just an mdf board instead of the frame. then wrap that.

are you looking for different suggestions than whats posted above?

its all practice, so you can figure out what works. There are different ways to do it. Its difficult to give specific directions over the net.

maybe if you had a sketch of what you are trying to accomplish we could focus our suggestions a little better. If you don't know what you want it to look like or don't have a sketch to start with, thats problem #1.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

how is the amp going to mount to the frame? On top, or are you going to try and make the top of the amp flush with the top of the frame?

if its going on top, id start with just an mdf board instead of the frame. then wrap that.

the amp will sit on top of the frame, there will be a board on that, but I don't think I need heavy MDF just to mount an amp. I think I will also add a sides so the amp will flush mount

are you looking for different suggestions than whats posted above?

its all practice, so you can figure out what works. There are different ways to do it. Its difficult to give specific directions over the net.

maybe if you had a sketch of what you are trying to accomplish we could focus our suggestions a little better. If you don't know what you want it to look like or don't have a sketch to start with, thats problem #1.

nothing different, just suggestions, or ideas...... if i drew a sketch it would leave you even more confused... i'm a TERRIBLE artist, i mean freakin terrible man.

If you are going to mount them on a solid board and have them recessed with sides you should loose the frame you have mounted. Build yourself a tray for each amp, complete with bottom and sides. Float those trays in the air with the supports you have setup already. You can also put a small rabbit (3/16 X 3/16 notch) around the top outside edge of the tray to staple the fabric into before glassing. Helps to get a smooth finished edge around the top of the tray. Make sure you consider your wiring when building your tray, wires down into the tray/ thru the sides of the tray or out the top of the tray and into the enclosure.. You dont want to get it all done and then have a cluster fuck when you go to wire your amps up.

Like mentioned before, Fiberglass Forums has a shit load of examples of this kind of setup. Thats where I learned to do my fiberglassing. Top notch site.

Another tip. If you are going to rabbit the top edge just use a roundover bit and drop the bit down 3/16ths of an inch and that will give you the rabbit and a smooth edge for your fabric to pull over.

One other problem I can see is that your wheel well is going to hit the back of the enclosure if you just stretch the fabric to fit the frame and bass. You have two options. 1st is to make a fiberglass mold of the wheel well and incorporate that mold into your base then stretch over that. Or you could stretch the fabric and cram it over the wheel well so the fabric conforms to the shape. If you did that you would have to soak the fabric first or leave an opening in the center of the tray so you could work on the inside of the enclosure. You will probably need to do that so you can reinforce the fabric where you stretch it over the well. Tape some alum foil over any area where the fiberglass resin will hit so it will release from the area after drying.

You have the right ideas you just need to jump in and try. Worse thing that can happen is some lost materials/monies. I threw a few things away because I wasnt pleased how things turned out.

And as far as securing them goes. If you leave an opening in the tray you could just screw the base down to the floor of the trunk. You can have an opening thats 2" smaller than the footprint of the amp and after the amp is mounted you wont see a thing.

If you are going to mount them on a solid board and have them recessed with sides you should loose the frame you have mounted. Build yourself a tray for each amp, complete with bottom and sides. Float those trays in the air with the supports you have setup already. You can also put a small rabbit (3/16 X 3/16 notch) around the top outside edge of the tray to staple the fabric into before glassing. Helps to get a smooth finished edge around the top of the tray. Make sure you consider your wiring when building your tray, wires down into the tray/ thru the sides of the tray or out the top of the tray and into the enclosure.. You dont want to get it all done and then have a cluster fuck when you go to wire your amps up.

Like mentioned before, Fiberglass Forums has a shit load of examples of this kind of setup. Thats where I learned to do my fiberglassing. Top notch site.

I was going to turn that frame into a tray... I suppose since the supports are there I could build a tray and replace the frames.... I didn't want to use heavy stuff like MDF though.

I will have to look into it I guess, since it's the proper way to do it :) I really haven't actually decided weather I want a flush mount, or if I want the amp sitting on top of the racks above the FG.....still rolling it around in my head. Im thinking recessed would look better.

You can get something a little lighter like 1/2" or 1/4" to lighten things up. Cutting a hole in the middle of the tray will remove a lot of weight. Get it all setup and just stretch and staple some fabric over it set it in place and see how it looks. If you dont like it just pull the staples out and make some changes.

On my last project I used some super stretchy rayon/spandex blend material that would stretch over any shape. Used a lot less resin to soak thru for setting the shape. I personally dont like fleece, lots of resin to soak thru and not as stretchy.

Seriously, just stop worrying and thinking and just jump in....Its fun after you get your feet wet.

Archived