Completely frustrated, install going nowhere!

So I started my "install" last year when I started buying some stuff.

Well right now I'm looking at building amp racks to house my amps in my trunk sidewalls......well I'm stuck and extremely pissed off at this point. I have looked on the net high and low and I can't seem to find a single article/thread/etc about building the amp racks, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or how the hell I'm going to get them to fit in my car.

At the rate I'm going it will be quite literally YEARS before I even get anything actually installed, and I don't have the cash to fork over and have someone do it in a week for me. It's already been a year and the only thing I have managed to install is my head unit.... I'm about ready to call it quits and buy a pre-fab box and drop my stuff in there, but I REALLY don't want to do that.

so am I even doing this right? what do I do? How do I get these amp racks measured so they are symmetrical, and fit in the sidewalls to be fiberglassed? how do I secure them? how do I build this damn frame? I'm so lost and confused and pissed off that I can't seem to finish this project. PLEASE HELP!!

You can see what I've managed to get finished in the last 3 weeks..... yes 3 weeks for this, and it's been a year since I started thinking about what I wanted to do.

I want the racks to sit on an angle like that, but I have no friggin clue how to make them both look the same, as well as all the other crap I just whined about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cut a board that will fit wayyyyyyyyy back in there.

this will be your base

so on the same "plane" you want your (ring) to be on, just the base is set back 3-4"

no stilt off of that "base" to your (ring)

while your doing this entire project, work on both sides at the same time.

If you make 1 cut.. do both sides the same.

It looks like you have a "base" on the bottom already, do that same thing but it will be more of a vertical piece.

this "base" needs to be attached to your car's sidewall very very very well...cant move

But for these begining stages just tack it down till you get your shape, and angles right.

hope that helps.

Post some pics after you do this/

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

ya that is my base, this is an amp rack, not a speaker box.

I've got one "assembled", I'm working on trying to get the other one the same.... proving to be harder than it seems. I've cut the pices the same, they are identical, but the second rack doesn't seem to have the same angles even though the stuff is in the same place.

Will post some more pics in a bit, when I get this a little more completed.

hey , a thunderbird. Good deal. I am going to guess a '94 to '97

You may need to glass the inside of the trunk over the wheel well and in that area in order have something to build on and to stretch the material over. That area is a tough one for the first time glasser.

You could raise the floor a few inches and work on a flat surface instead of starting so crazy.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

give the brotha a link haha

1996 Mercury Sable Stationwagon

- Infinity Kappa 682.7 cf's front and back

- Alpine Pdx-4.100

- Hifonics Txi 1008D

- Fi 12" Q, ported at 33Hz

- Kicker distribution hardware

- (1) Kicker 4 gauge run

Plans....

- Sound Processor (Rockford 3sixty.2 or MTX)

- Dynamat

- another Fi Q 12

- H/O alternator

- Aftermarket Headunit

- Component set for upfront

hey , a thunderbird. Good deal. I am going to guess a '94 to '97

You may need to glass the inside of the trunk over the wheel well and in that area in order have something to build on and to stretch the material over. That area is a tough one for the first time glasser.

You could raise the floor a few inches and work on a flat surface instead of starting so crazy.

close. its a 96 cougar.... same damn car basically :)..... I have nowhere else to put my 3 amps.

I don't want to raise my floor up, since I'm trying to keep some trunk space, I still use my car :D

the back window should have been a give-a-way for me. Birds go all the way to the trunk (no paint)

drive to CA :)

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

the back window is also on a slant on the t-bird, the cougar rear window is straight.....ish..... you can't really make out that detail in the pics though.

Here is where I'm at now, and a little less frustrated cause I feel I've made some progress. They appear to be a little more symmetrical now.

Big questions here;

is the base I'm using going to be ok for a base? should I switch out to something smaller/thinner? should I fit it more "correctly"?

How should I secure this to my trunk? will bolting it to the floor be ok, or should it be secured to the sidewalls as well? Remember it will be glassed, which brings me to, should I remove the rubber sound damping crap in my trunk along with the harder yellow stuff to make it easier to properly place?

What type of board should I use over the frames to mount the amps to?

Pics, you can also see the extension I made for my square so I could place the supports a little more accurately.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

nice so far i am stuck trying the same thing in my trunk area so i will be watching this close

new system in the works

(3) DC lvl 4xls 15's (one of three are here)

(2) DD z1 (done)

old kenwood four ch

4 runs of 2/0 (done)

? 200 amp alt may two ??

Archived