Unique ground question

So something like this doesn't happen to me every day, and this is probably one of the first times I have witnessed it. Now I was doing some things, a buddy of mine let me borrow a known good working radio until my DVD player comes in. So I hook it up, it goes into my JBL eq, and then from there into my Opti 600.4 via RCAs. This is where things get weird. I had some car problems today, so I disconnected the negative from my amp and my EQ at the rear battery. The positive is still hooked up. I have the remote turn on into the ignition wire. When I got the car started, the amp turned on. There was alternator whine. Again, the negatives are disconnected. As soon as I disconnected the RCAs, it shut off. I tried with another set of RCAs, thinking it was pinched, same thing happens. Discuss please.

Edited by lanman31337

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

sounds to me like the amp is grounding itself through the frame of the amp to the frame of the car, maybe grounding through the rca's but i doubt it. Is the amp in any way touching the body of the car?

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

sounds to me like the amp is grounding itself through the frame of the amp to the frame of the car, maybe grounding through the rca's but i doubt it. Is the amp in any way touching the body of the car?

It very well could have grounded through the RCA's, happened to be a while back I pulled the ground with the positive still hooked up and fried my RCA had to get a new set for it to work again, always disconnect power before working on any connections on your amp.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

The amp and the equalizer are on pieces of wood, and neither are touching the body of the car at all.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

I had a similar scenario with the radio that was shipped to me, had to have been a bad radio, but if I hooked up just the constant power and any of the RCAs, i get power to the radio. Note that the ignition wire was not even connected.

Another part to this is I got out my multi-meter, and checked the outside of the RCAs on the amp to the negative battery terminal. I'm getting damn good continuity on it, and I don't think I should be :~

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

is your antenna to your deck still plugged in. cuz sometimes it can use your antenna as a ground. a bad one but a ground non the less

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

x2 my pioneer cd player works without a ground.... it grounds out through the antenna... obviously i dont run it like that but i found that out one time i was messing with it...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Glad you guys mentioned that. I do not have the antenna hooked up at all. I do have a "hot rod" style antenna since I shaved mine, it's under the back deck and hooked up to a ground, however the antenna is not hooked up.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

its grounding thru the rca cables because signal only goes the center pin the flat outer piece is grounded for protection. so if you try to play music and your rca is being used as a ground youll probly set the rcas on fire

Team S.M.D.

Maritime Car Audio- (2) 18" SSA ZCON D1

- American Bass 500.1

- 60 ft of 3/0

-480 Ah of battery

- (2) stock alternators (70 +90)

- Kenwood Excelon x-794, 4v preouts

car audio is just a LOT more complicated than "this amp does this power" or "this sub will be this loud". its like 2 + 2 = banana. (if that confuses you then you get the point) lol

well if u take out the rca's it shuts off. so its grounding through the rca some how. no ground to your deck at all? does it mount to metal in the dash?

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056