Second Skin Audio

Breaking In Subs???

The only reason i have this post is because i have my kicker l7 12 inch for like about 4 days and then sumthing got messed up on it so i am trying to send it back right now for another one. It sounds like sumthing is hitting the cone sometimes and like a weird buzzing noise. Does any1 no what the problem would b???

I had what sounds to be the same issue with an 12" L5 I had a while back. What happened with mine was the cone came lose from the surrounding suspension. all I did to fix that was use some epoxy, waited till it was dry, put it back in the box. turned the amp up louder then i had it before, thing is still hitting hard as hell. (In my buddy's 97 Maxima)

2009 Hyundai Accent GL

Alpine CDA 9884

Rockford Fosgate Wire

Rockford Fosgate 501bd

Soundstream 12 Reference

Hifonics Zeus ZXI 6410

Rockford Fosgate T1652

Rockford Fosgate T152

XBL: NW Livin Loud

But you also have a teg Christian.. so you get to have unbreakable subs, no matter what power you throw at them :)

? Please explain.

Official Scores at the Dash. and YES. My Bass Boxing is louder than Burp! - 155.5 DB Drag Burp- 155.6 - IASCA Bass Boxing on music (30 seconds straight) sealed up Builds 1. The Acura Integra build = http://www.stevemead...s/page__st__6802. BLK SIN Build = http://www.stevemead...w-pics-10-6-07/

I dunno, you have a teg, so it gets +10 db louder and unbreakable subs LOL

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I would normally agree and sat that you dont have to break in subs, but I did a install for my friend with 2 l7 15's and the manual said break them in or risk blowing them. He had the same problem you did sounded like the coil was bottoming out but was seperated. Next set he broke them in for two weeks and there still in there same power and box, 1 year later.

Ya hopefully when i get a new one back im not gonna blast it for like a week or so after playing it then full power. Plus my amp is way under powering it so its weird.

I had what sounds to be the same issue with an 12" L5 I had a while back. What happened with mine was the cone came lose from the surrounding suspension. all I did to fix that was use some epoxy, waited till it was dry, put it back in the box. turned the amp up louder then i had it before, thing is still hitting hard as hell. (In my buddy's 97 Maxima)

I bought my L7 with the box as a combo on ebay so im not gonna take it out of the box unless i find out that i cant return it anyway

i suppose some manufacturers suggest a break in period to loosen up the spiders so you dont rip them...

but like i said before.... breaking in a sub is like breaking in your girl before you pound her.... either one might rip....

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

i suppose some manufacturers suggest a break in period to loosen up the spiders so you dont rip them...

but like i said before.... breaking in a sub is like breaking in your girl before you pound her.... either one might rip....

very well put lol ha love it

yeah i noticed someone put that in their sig after i posted it on a different thread with the same subject... so i put it out there agian just so everybody had ha chance to grab it.... i dont know how i came up with it but it just seemed to fit....

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

I'd say it all comes down to which manufactures feel confident in there subs and the audience they reach.

kicker seems to be the entry level sub (excluding Steve Micks lol) so they are going to warn their customers so they can say "we told you so" when it blows early on.

Fi seems to be for a little bit more advanced users (not in all cases lately) so they aren't going to worry as much.

just my .02

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

alright listen, if you know when a sub is at its limits ie thermally or mechanically, and you adjust accordingly, you will be fine.

only problem i see ''maybe'' is if the clues havent cured fully after a recone or something and you hammer on it while still wet.

you should be able to lean on it from the start without problems. personally, ill take a DD even though it says ''break in'' go full rich on it right away and have no problems.

people that dont know what to look for will be the ones to have problems

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png