Sonic Electronix

(6x9's) 5-way vs 4-way vs 3-way vs 2-way

Depends on what brand of speaker. I had sony explode 3way 6x9 that sounded like crap compared to my Polk Audio Mobile Monitor 3way 6x9s. I think 3way is the max. 4way and 5way are overkill imo.

wat im sayin is, the same everything. brand, rms, wattage from amp, etc... the difference is the 'ways'

Personally I would do 2-way or 3-way. I see what you are saying, I just think 4-way or 5-way is just a wow factor. Others may feel differently. May I ask what speakers you are looking at?

well actually i already have pioneer 5-ways and the clarity is freakin amazing...what i've noticed with the 2 and 3 ways that people i kno have, is that they scream...im all for loudness but not when its an irritation...with my 5-ways u can turn it up and hear the tweeters in em clearly and im heard from a distance...(i personally like distance over the screamin in the car...for all that ida left it stock!) but i really cant talk until i install some in my car for myself! its probably the way they have it tuned that i dont like...2/3 ways r probably better but i wont kno until i test them in my car...just out of curiousity, do u like the screaming or loud clarity?

Loud clarity. My polks are pretty good. They are way better that the Alpine type-s I had before, those were pretty harsh. I currently have 4 5x7 2-way is how they come. I still have a set of same model 6x9 3-way and 6-1/2 components and the 6x9 and comp setup was better than my new 5x7 but that is all that will fit in my truck without mods. Someday I'll have a T8004 and hook them all up at once :D I have never heard 5-way so I cant judge there but I heard some kenwood excelon 4-way and wasnt impressed. I think any speaker can get "screaming" if not setup right or driven too hard.

Edited by hdrox88

2 ways... the higher up u go the more emphasis the speaker has on highs as there are more sources of higher notes each +way

a 2 way could be as good as a component set if the mid and tweet are matched nicely... thats all you need

super midrange/supertweeters/hypertweeters use so little power that likely the mid could use instead and produce a better more balanced sound

look at CDT audio... they have a Braxial System that puts a seperate tweeter in the same spot a coaxial would... because at times that can be the best spot for the tweeter, since they use the same axis

stick with 2ways or components

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

2 way.

Image Dynamics, DD, Soundstream's top of the line one.

If 5 way are so good why don't you see 5 way component sets? Because it's a marketing gimmick.

What the hell do you need 5 drivers for???

Let's say the big cone plays like 50hz-300hz

Then the next one plays 300-2khz

Then one plays 2khz-10khz

Then one plays 10khz-20khz

And the last one sits there and looks shiny.

It's funny. The more you spend on 6x9's the less 'ways' you get.

Someone go find some $5.49 x9's on E-Bay, I'll bet they're like 7-way or something.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PYLE-6x9-GOLD-8-WA...#ht_1714wt_1165

Need I say more?

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Loud clarity. My polks are pretty good. They are way better that the Alpine type-s I had before, those were pretty harsh. I currently have 4 5x7 2-way is how they come. I still have a set of same model 6x9 3-way and 6-1/2 components and the 6x9 and comp setup was better than my new 5x7 but that is all that will fit in my truck without mods. Someday I'll have a T8004 and hook them all up at once :D I have never heard 5-way so I cant judge there but I heard some kenwood excelon 4-way and wasnt impressed. I think any speaker can get "screaming" if not setup right or driven too hard.

yea ur right...i guess its the setup...i may 'borrow' sumbody elses 2 ways to c wat i can do and how they'll sound in my car...

i get wat u other guys r sayin too...now that i think about it...the less 'ways' the more the amp can put to just those 2 ways...the more there r, the more 'ways' it has to split the wattage for the different sounds...either way my system still sounds better then all my friends' so im still happy for now

Edited by 8000watts