Second Skin Audio

I hear a pretty noticeable difference, copper always has a lower Fs, and usually gains Bl, so usually sounds better in sealed, or smaller ported boxes due to added weight, and Bl

But I thought copper had less heat dissipation? thats why aluminum was better for that purpose?

its been about 4-5 years since we tested at the shop power testing, so Iam kind of rusty on copper/alum side by side testing

But I personally like the copper coil sound better

SMD woofer wont be copper at all anyways- is it?

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I've always tested my copper coils at a lower temp than alum right after high powered burps.

And yes, the lower weight of the alum will change the Fs and Bl, but these are also changed by cone material and mass, former, coil size, suspension. So if all that is the same, and just the coils are different, the weight difference is so minimal, that it has barely any noticeable change on an RTA, let alone the human ear.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I've always tested my copper coils at a lower temp than alum right after high powered burps.

And yes, the lower weight of the alum will change the Fs and Bl, but these are also changed by cone material and mass, former, coil size, suspension. So if all that is the same, and just the coils are different, the weight difference is so minimal, that it has barely any noticeable change on an RTA, let alone the human ear.

I understand doing copper coils is a mass issue, causing a lower Fs, but even if you weigh all components, and add mass difference from coppers weight to aluminums weight, the alum still has a higher Fs

Average aluminum coil sub I build, whether its a single spider or quad spider ranges from 36-45hz Fs

Copper coils I use, same height, 2" comparable gauge single to quad spider is from 20hz to 30hz

I have a bunch of copper clad coils, for me these coils work best in all aspects, but the price is crazy on custom orders

copper clad keeps the characteristics of aluminum usually, over copper

Since I build speakers on my own now, I need to do my own testing, over testing for someone else like I used to

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

but it does have to do with coils most alum coils are will have more resistance which means they are prone to power build up and most are flatwind coils which will have a smaller gap than the round copper so therefore the alum will and could peak easy due to power build up and smaller gap and the copper should handle more power given the material but may have a more linear response due to the how fast the electrical power can respond through the coil and the fact that their is a slightly bigger gap at some points in the coil windings

Car is 2010 Scion Tc

Currently in car

Deck- Sony XAV-60 in-dash mobile video system

Speakers- Rockford Punch 6.5in comps in the front and coax in the rear

Subs- 2 Gen 3 Rockford P3 12's dual 4 ohm

Amps- Rockford P1000-1bd and P400-4 Alpine Mrp-f300 is in for P400-4 which is out to service

Wiring- all rockford nuff said

Enclosure- Dual 12in custom box by SRQ

Battery- Optima Yellow top with big 3 done

Sound Damping- All Dynamat products 1-2 layers throughout with liner on top

rockford-fosgate-logo.gif

Link to my build log- http://down4sound.co...=newpost&t=5275

Link to my youtube- http://www.youtube.c...ser/Jville140db

MECP Advanced CEA # 110531

BassBox 6 Pro for Box Building/Re audio box calculator

If you can hear the passenger it aint loud enough!!!!!!!

QUOTE (MickyMcD @ Sep 25 2009, 07:25 PM) "My system has 30 speaker terminals, that means shits wanging doggggg....."<!--QuoteEnd--></div>

I understand doing copper coils is a mass issue, causing a lower Fs, but even if you weigh all components, and add mass difference from coppers weight to aluminums weight, the alum still has a higher Fs

Average aluminum coil sub I build, whether its a single spider or quad spider ranges from 36-45hz Fs

Copper coils I use, same height, 2" comparable gauge single to quad spider is from 20hz to 30hz

I have a bunch of copper clad coils, for me these coils work best in all aspects, but the price is crazy on custom orders

copper clad keeps the characteristics of aluminum usually, over copper

Since I build speakers on my own now, I need to do my own testing, over testing for someone else like I used to

The Fs range is what we have been seeing on our new TSS/T2000 subs, which all have copper coils.

Aluminum just hasnt seemed worth it seeing as how our power handling and efficiency is exceeding what we targeted at.

But I have not tested with Copper clad, or Titanium. I would be interested to see the advantages of these over the copper we use.

What material cone does the SMD woofer use?

I have played with Aluminum coil subs with carbon cones and I wasnt pleased with the SQ.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

The Fs range is what we have been seeing on our new TSS/T2000 subs, which all have copper coils.

Aluminum just hasnt seemed worth it seeing as how our power handling and efficiency is exceeding what we targeted at.

But I have not tested with Copper clad, or Titanium. I would be interested to see the advantages of these over the copper we use.

What material cone does the SMD woofer use?

I have played with Aluminum coil subs with carbon cones and I wasnt pleased with the SQ.

I wanna Say the Same Material that is used now... Thats The way it Looked :)

WWW.OSGINDUSTRIES.COM

I LOVE HATER'S

but it does have to do with coils most alum coils are will have more resistance which means they are prone to power build up and most are flatwind coils which will have a smaller gap than the round copper so therefore the alum will and could peak easy due to power build up and smaller gap and the copper should handle more power given the material but may have a more linear response due to the how fast the electrical power can respond through the coil and the fact that their is a slightly bigger gap at some points in the coil windings

The copper coils and aluminum coils I was testing were both flatwound and of the same size. Both in the same motor so gap size was the same.

All was equal except the coil material.

The copper did peak in SPL at 2hz lower than the aluminum. and was .1 db louder. average over all tests.

Copper does have better thermal conductivity than aluminum, but aluminum has a lower mass, which is supped to let it expel heat faster.

I was thinking that the reason why my IR thermometer was reading aluminum as 5-10 deg hotter was because of the ambient air being more warmed up.

But the impedance rise went up more on the second and third burps on the aluminum coil as compared to the copper.

This is usually due to increased heat and electrical resistance and decreased efficiency and power.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist