I've always thought shaving the door handles would be cool to do. I don't have much knowledge about this and don't plan on even doing it myself. I just have a question about it so when the time comes, I dont get ripped off. How are the handles filled in, and does the whole door need to get re-painted afterwards?

I've always thought shaving the door handles would be cool to do. I don't have much knowledge about this and don't plan on even doing it myself. I just have a question about it so when the time comes, I dont get ripped off. How are the handles filled in, and does the whole door need to get re-painted afterwards?

The handles are filled in my welding a piece of sheet metal in their place. If done right I'm sure that just the area around the handles can be repainted.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

You weld in a peice of sheet metal trimmed to fit the spot where the handle was after you remove it all.

3M does make a panel bond for use in place of welding in certain situations, but welding is better. I have seen the 3M used for this before, and it was holding up but it had only been a few months and I do not know how they are now.

The door gets alot of use and bumping into. So you need it to be solid so it doesn't crack or show thru.

If welded correctly, you use little body filler to level it out.

As for 'glassing it over.....negative. See above for reasoning.

The fiberglass will adhear to the metal for a short time, then it will eventually give and start cracking.

For the paint fix....... that depends on the paint that is currently there. Most paints can be feathered in. I would recommend clearing the whole door though.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

You weld in a peice of sheet metal trimmed to fit the spot where the handle was after you remove it all.

3M does make a panel bond for use in place of welding in certain situations, but welding is better. I have seen the 3M used for this before, and it was holding up but it had only been a few months and I do not know how they are now.

The door gets alot of use and bumping into. So you need it to be solid so it doesn't crack or show thru.

If welded correctly, you use little body filler to level it out.

As for 'glassing it over.....negative. See above for reasoning.

The fiberglass will adhear to the metal for a short time, then it will eventually give and start cracking.

For the paint fix....... that depends on the paint that is currently there. Most paints can be feathered in. I would recommend clearing the whole door though.

thanks alot my man, great info!

I shaved my handles and lock on my sunfire. I used Fusor to hold the filler plates onto the area where the lock and handle were. Well, it's been holding now for 3+ years, no signs of cracking.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Well there are 2 good testaments to the panle bonding method.

Never tested it myself. Never had to with the welder assortment at the shop.

Good luck on your shaving adventures. Post pics for us when you start.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Shaved mine the old fashioned way, weld a plate just under the bodyline as close as possible. evercoat bondo (not the pepboys/oreily garbage) and floated the WHOLE door. Longblock the whole thing and tadah, perfect shave and you usually will find dents you didn't even see before. Hell my Cutlass door looked like camoflauge when it was done there were so many small dents! I just re did it actually and haven't primered it yet if you need pics I can take some.

Starting From Scratch!!