Second Skin Audio

Dust Cap Effect Sound?

I have been wondering for a while if the dust cap effects the way the sub performs/sounds.

For example I have seen some 12's where the dust cap is basically the whole cone and there is maybe a quarter inch of actual cone.

Or inverted like some of the new T3 line?

Or say you take and recone a Fi and use an inverted dust cap would it sound different?

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

I personally have always liked inverted domes

Just seems like cupping the air, in a concave disk works better, and makes the piston area more sturdy

I think there could be a pretty good change- I know when done in free air RTA testing, concave inverted domes have a wider frequency response

even better yet, flat piston

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

i just posted the same thread over on Pap :)

copy/paste

??? what do yall think of oversized dust caps,

i would think it would effect the performance of the sub,

and affect the Sd as well,

as the bottom of the sub is cone shaped and

the surface would be drastically different

???

as well as oversized inverted dust caps

please feel to post your thoughts ;D

i have photoshoped out the Logo for obvious reasons

DDosdc-1.jpg

sorry for thread jacking

Edited by Lord Baccus

My .02, my buddies g-friend's dust cones both fell off, but sounds the same... Just looks like crap!!!

thats kind of bad for the woofers. The dustcap actually encloses the speaker from the inside of the box. without the dust cap the speaker wont cool effectivly by sucking the air into the coil and back out, with the dustcap on the driver, it kind of acts as a vacuum effect to cool the coil.

i did not want this to become a DD fanboy thread, so i Photoshoped the logo off and changed the color / i was intrested in the effect it would have on the Sd & how the sub reacted to shape vs function

I know the composite caps help stop DDs from blowing cones. Although I don't know if that's still an issue with the new ones.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!