Update- Summer Internship At Txtech. Modifying Bike For Girl With Cerebral Palsy

tell me what you think, comments, changes, i have to send it off in a week

My motivation for the summer internship is simply to learn more about electrical engineering while being hands on with different projects. Two years ago I was introduced to car audio because I wanted to put some Rockford Fosgate subwoofers in my car. I was so intrigued in car audio systems that I researched the internet for hours to learn everything I could on subjects relating to car audio. I learned about electrical systems, ohms law, and of course components relating to car audio. At the same time I was in Physics so I was also introduced to circuits, ohms law and how to calculate what the ohm loads are in series and parallel. Since then I have upgraded my car audio equipment by upgrading my electrical system with an Excessive Amperage Alternator (200 Amps) and installing 1/0 gauge wiring to handle the large current draw. Also, I have started projects using fiberglass to build speaker enclosures and researched about how to size the enclosure to frequency tune the box to ensure the bass frequencies sound more precise and clean.

In addition to my studies and my car audio hobby, I work two jobs. On Mon., Tues., and Fri., I work at Lifetime Fitness and at Sonic Drive-In on the weekend. I would love to have a job that teaches me new things that I want to learn. I work hard 5 days a week after going to school and would love nothing more than to enjoy a relevant internship on my hobby. Because car audio is relative to Electrical Engineering and I have excelled in my favorite subject, Math, I think Electrical Engineering is the perfect Major for me. I believe this internship will teach me new things everyday and help me to know more about what I love.

Edited by Texas Tech

Baylor University

Accounting

sweet maybe we can become friends when i go out there i start my freshman year in august

Baylor University

Accounting

check it out...

However i do have a slight disadvantage cuz i was stupid and did not attach anything with my application about NHS, a teacher reccomendation or anything.

Matt,

We have received your letter and application. Could you please also send a transcript? E-mail of a scanned PDF would be fine. By the way, that’s big wire, and 200 Amps is indeed Excessive Amperage. Don’t neglect the fuses.

Dr. Nutter

Brian Nutter, PhD, PE

MS 43102

Electrical and Computer Engineering

Texas Tech University

Lubbock, Texas 79409-3102

(806) 742-1262

Edited by Texas Tech

Baylor University

Accounting

• 2 weeks later...

I got the internship,

300 a week

basically I am with a team of 8 internships (including myself) to design and research projects with electrical and computer engineering. It is for one month in the summer and this should pay off the money i owe (which is 1,000 deductible) for getting all the dents off of my car from the storm. (insurance is paying 1,300).

Baylor University

Accounting

• 2 months later...

Well not many responded to this, but i am going to give an update. For the past 6 weeks i have worked with a team of 3 others. 2 guys, one a EE student at Texas Tech and the other a ME student at Texas Tech. The other team member was a girl who did not have a major chosen.

Problem: One of the Professors daughter has Cerebral palsy (neurological disorders that cause physical disability in human development, specifically the human movement and posture) and our job was to modify a three wheeled bicycle for her to better suit her needs for riding a bike.

Goals: We started out with 4 main goals:

Motorize a three-wheel bike

Implement basic control functions

Remote Control Braking System

Create Adaptive Foot Pedals

Not all goals were acheived due to not recieving a couple orders but a lot of things were completed.

The End product is completly different from what we started with.

We changed the way she steered teh bike, motorized it, created kill switches, implemented remote kill swith of the motor, modified the frame and sitting position of the bike, created protection guards along the wheel (protection against spokes)

The bike we bagan the project with is almost identical to this one except it is red.

bike.jpg

I will post up pictures of the finished product and pictures of progress when my team member emails me our presentation.

Baylor University

Accounting