Car Audio 101 - The Big 3 Upgrade

2 Q's

Ive heard not to ground to suspension bolts?

and

When you did the alt, you just left the factory alt wire just hanging there? Thats not good to have a positive wire just hangin around. and you didnt say wat to do with it.

but its nice to see a vid of this to help ppl out.

When you did the alt, you just left the factory alt wire just hanging there? Thats not good to have a positive wire just hangin around. and you didnt say wat to do with it.

Are you sure? I thought he left it connected and overlapped the new 0 gauge wire over it?

Are you sure? I thought he left it connected and overlapped the new 0 gauge wire over it?

thats what you should really do, i just watched again and its just hangin there.

2 Q's

and

all factory connections should stay the same, he should have put the big 3 wire over the factory connection

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

thats what you should really do, i just watched again and its just hangin there.

I didn't notice that. The camera cut off then it appeared back with it dangling there..

Just a little mistake, but it should be noted in the directions that it should not be hanging there.

My battery is under the back seat as well. So, you should fuse the alt. to battery + wire within 12 inches of the batt, or 12 inches of the alt? I was going to do it closer to the alt. but it looks like you did it closer to the battery in your video.

By the way, when it said "do not loose the factory nut" when you unscrewed the nut on your alt. in the video, it should say "lose" not "loose". If you want it to look a bit more professional.

To be honest, I would be concerned about a potential short occuring somewhere between the alt and the batt in the back. So, I would recommend fusing next to the alt up front AND near the batt. That way if a short occurs anywhere between the alt and batt the fuses will pop and you won't have a fire.

Thanks for the FYI. I can't spell. ;)

Mike Stiers

Product Development & Technical Support

Maxxsonics USA

MB Quart , Hifonics , Crunch & Autotek

Car, Home & Marine Audio Products

Maxxsonics YouTube Channel

2 Q's

and

I measured the resistancein this vehicle for good sources of ground just as I do in every app. I found that the stut bolt was equal to a factory ground bolt on the frame about 10 inches lower and to the left. You can see it in the vid. The front frame was actually the worst.

I removed the factory charge wire from the alt and battery. Both where taped and secured. In most apps I would recommend keeping it since it is generally integrated in the factory fusing. In this vehicle it was not. In my Neon it was and I simply added an additional 0 awg charge wire on top of it.

Mike Stiers

Maxxsonics USA

all factory connections should stay the same, he should have put the big 3 wire over the factory connection

As mentioned in the vid as well as the details to the vid on youtube, you can simply overlap the new runs.

I mentioned above why this was not the case in this vehicle. More is better for sure. Just not required in this installation.

Mike Stiers

Maxxsonics USA

Very nice man.

This should help the new comers and people that want to do a big three for sure. As long as they do a search before asking... LOL :D

Also thanks for taking the time to answer some question for me about that Colossus amp..

Head Unit: Alpine CDA 9887

Sub Amps: 4 RF2500's

Subs: 8 SA-12's Walled

Comp Amp: 1 RF600.2 (for now)

Comps: (4) 6.5 Punch Mid Pros and 2 Punch Pro Tweeters

Batteries: (1) XS D5100 (5) D3100

Power Cables: 2 runs of 2/0 power and ground each front to back(Try-Star)

Alternator: Dual Mechman Rhino 250's

Deadener: Fatmat / Damplifier Pro

Archived