Easiest way to do this?

Ok, I know absolutly nothing about home audio. But I was playing some Gears of War earlier and thought it would be cool to build a "system" just for gaming. So I started brainstorming and this is what I came up with. I have this desk in the corner of my room that is designated for gaming. It holds a 27" LCD that is only hooked up to my Xbox and has a little section on the bottom that is empty. I was thinking about building a triangular box to go in that little section to hold one of those $20 12" Hifonics subs and two or four 6.5's.

That's all good, but this is were I'm stumped, how do I go about powering the speakers and sub? And is it possible to hook the xbox up to it so it plays the sound of the game? If possible I'd also like to be able to hook my iPod up to it. Possible?

Like I said I know nothing about home audio and any information is welcomed. I'm also a broke college student, so the cheaper, the better. I'm not looking for a SQ system here. Just something to add more to the gameplay.

Incase I lost you here are some pics. Heres the desk.

100_0542.jpg

And here's where I wanna builld the box, right below the TV.

100_0544.jpg

Edited by JGod

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

OK- i was in your boat and this is how i did it.

I found an old 5.1 Kenwoood surround sound system and just jacked the 80w Plate amp. Then i grabbed one of those Home Stereos that come in 3 piece units

(example)

3127615823_bd89ee226c.jpg

So i switch between ipod and Xbox for the Aux input on the CD player, then run the high level speaker outs into the high level signal inputs on the sub amp.

Now i have home CD player towers on the sides of the TV with the sub underneath. As nice as it is, i've found it REALLY helps First person shooter games because your perception of L and R sound effects gets exaggerated.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Noob, that's actually a pretty good idea but I kinda want to build it into the desk. I'll keep that in mind though if it doesn't work out.

What about using the whole 5.1 surround sound receiver? I just thought about it when noob said it that I have one laying in my closest from when I had surround sound and thought it might could work.

Edited for clarity

Edited by JGod

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

That is exactly what your looking for then.

just plug the R/W into the front stage inputs on the receiver and sub out to amp and to your lil woof

Build log or bant

-Drew

**use Y adapters to plug into all four inputs if you have a 6 inputs (LF RF LB RB Center +Sub)

Edited by Noobtastic14

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:

That is exactly what your looking for then.

just plug the R/W into the front stage inputs on the receiver and sub out to amp and to your lil woof

Build log or bant

-Drew

**use Y adapters to plug into all four inputs if you have a 6 inputs (LF RF LB RB Center +Sub)

It does have 6 inputs, but I don't understand what you mean by use Y adapters? I couldn't just plug the 6.5's into four channels and the sub into the sub channel?

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

Just like a car amp- if there are no RCAs in Ch 3+4 then there will be no signal coming out of ch 3+4 so run RCA Y splitters and do say L on Ch 1+3 and R on ch 2+4 (however it is laid out so you have both lefts on a side and both rights on a side)

-Drew

uhoh_45 said:

I have a durabrand 2.1 surround sound hooked up to my ps2. My flat panel lcd doest have an out,so i run the video therw the sub. it sounds good for a 30 $ set up.

08 f-150 foose edition 

Roush supercharger 

22'' foose chrome rims

Carriage Works brushed billet grill

Elite tonneau cover

ZeeZ underbody led multi color glow kit

Black horse racing electric exhaust cutout

Crown suspension rear lowering shackles

Eibach coil springs and leaf springs

Pioneer DEH-x3800s cd player

audiopipe  200 watt crossovers

4 mclaren 5x7 250 watts speakers

4 soundstream 150 watt dome tweeters

Audiopipe Apcl-1000 mono amp

1-Sundown audio 15"sa

Box built by concept enclosures tuned to 35 hz with spare 32hz aero ports

1-xs power 950 battery

All skyhigh audio,power,ground,RCA,speaker, remote turn on

home set-up Onkyo receiver tx-DS676 5.1 575 watts KLH 5 disc cd player Optonica 220 watt amp optimus 10-band EQ 2-floor standing technics speakers-10in w/mids 1-10in polk audio psw100 powered subwoofer 2-bowers & wilkins dm-17 bookshelf speakers

NoiseMaker-800x75.jpg

only problem i see with putting the 6.5's in the bottom under the tv is them being under the tv. youd really want the speakers on the sides of the tv so theyre in front of you and not under you.

the sub would be fine being under there.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

i have my laptop and 360 hook up 2 my home "system" but useing a one male y into a 3.5 cable and at the end of the cable i have a female y that hooks up 2 the left and right sound out puts on the xbox

for the i-pod/laptop or wut else that uses a 3.5m jack just unhook the y off the cable and pulg ur pod/laptop in

i can get some pic of u like

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.