Second Skin Audio

Truck has no room

310_cutty

i could do it...but it would take awhile...only because they take a bit longer to figure up box volume due to their shape...and longer to tweak the dimensions to get the proper volume....

but if u make ur box about 2.4 cubes, a port with 18sq" (so a 9x2 opening...or something that yeilds about 18"), and make it 10-11" long....u will have a box that is about 1.9 cubes net, tuned to 41is

i likes me some audio stuff...

Wait, how'd you guys figure this one? He said he wanted it tuned to 37 hz. From what I could tell, a 1" hole would give you that. I know RE's site says ideal size for the box would be .5 cubes per sub at 35 hz for a ported box. I'm assuming Ray's saying you should follow that, although I don't know why he wants to tune it to 41 hz. I guess that's a better tuning for the 8's? I dunno...

I'd love to go in and change the model around, but my AC adapter cord for my other laptop just stopped working, and I won't get the replacement in for a week or so. I'll try to re-build the model on this computer, but it'll take a while, because I have to start from scratch. and this computer's a good bit slower. I'll let you know as soon as I get something going. =)

Also, what program do you guys use to calculate port area/length? I just used the12volt.com, and I'm sure that's not the best one to use, but it was what I had available. A box with interior volume of 2.39 (2.11 after displacement) tuned to 37 hz with a 1" diameter hole for a port will have a port length of .00125 inches. That's 1/8th of 1/100 of an inch. Seems like a pretty negligible length for me.

I'm not doubting you guys are right, I'm actually betting I messed something up. I know Ray's probably the guy who can tell me what I did wrong. This is actually the first box I designed, and I thought I did everything right. I'm still learning here, so if you can shed some light on this, that'd be a great help.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Wait, how'd you guys figure this one? He said he wanted it tuned to 37 hz. From what I could tell, a 1" hole would give you that. I know RE's site says ideal size for the box would be .5 cubes per sub at 35 hz for a ported box. I'm assuming Ray's saying you should follow that, although I don't know why he wants to tune it to 41 hz. I guess that's a better tuning for the 8's? I dunno...

I'd love to go in and change the model around, but my AC adapter cord for my other laptop just stopped working, and I won't get the replacement in for a week or so. I'll try to re-build the model on this computer, but it'll take a while, because I have to start from scratch. and this computer's a good bit slower. I'll let you know as soon as I get something going. =)

Also, what program do you guys use to calculate port area/length? I just used the12volt.com, and I'm sure that's not the best one to use, but it was what I had available. A box with interior volume of 2.39 (2.11 after displacement) tuned to 37 hz with a 1" diameter hole for a port will have a port length of .00125 inches. That's 1/8th of 1/100 of an inch. Seems like a pretty negligible length for me.

I'm not doubting you guys are right, I'm actually betting I messed something up. I know Ray's probably the guy who can tell me what I did wrong. This is actually the first box I designed, and I thought I did everything right. I'm still learning here, so if you can shed some light on this, that'd be a great help.

yeah i would also like to know whats the best program to design boxes and calculate port.

thats because i 1" diameter while is WAY WAY too little port area....thats .785" of port area...u need about 18sq" for what ray said....

a 1" diameter port might as well be a hole drilled in the box for speaker wires...

and i use a program i made...the12volt works as well..

Alright, so even though the 1" port would technically work, it's not the ideal situation? You want a port with enough area to be able to put out the amount of air that the subs are moving. I think I'm starting to get it. So a port that was wider and taller, but longer, could move more air but maintain the tuning frequency? Wouldn't that affect the internal volume of the box though? and therefore affect the tuning frequency, requiring another adjustment of the port size? Seems like a push-and-pull process. Unless the box calculator adjusts the port volume to maintain the tuning. Ugh. I need to stop. I'm just confusing myself more and more. :blink::wacko:

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

it is a push and pull process....say u have a port 9x2" thast 10" long..tuned to 42hz (box volume is about 2.39before any displacement)....if u make the port 9x3, it will now have to be about 20" long to get around 42hz, which also changes the volume...because the bigger port will take up more space in the box...

its def a push pull process...thats why i made my own program in excel...so when u change port dimensions it automatically adjust the box volume and tuning....

and a 1" circle port is probably never ever a good idea! u want around 12-16sq" or port area per cubic foot...can be a little less or a little more depending on what ur going for...thats just a general rule of thumb.

Well, here's the deal. I re-worked the box, made it a bit bigger (about 2.5 cubes). If you want it any smaller, I can just chop a few inches off the top at a time until I get the right volume. Now, from what I've gathered, if I want to make a L-shaped port against one of the walls, I need to adjust the port length somehow to make up for the fact that one of the port's sides is also a wall of the box.

For now, I ported it up top again. 10"x1.5" is the best I could do, otherwise some pretty tricky cuts would be needed on the port to get the front piece again. It's 8.5" deep. I got a few pics of it going. I can make it wider of needed, like 12x1,5, but 1.5 is the max depth. Anyway, pics!

Nothing new here:

Posted Image

Is that a hole up top?

Posted Image

Let's get another look at that:

Posted Image

What if I want an x-ray view?

Posted Image

From the top:

Posted Image

From the front:

Posted Image

wtf is lolcats?

that box looks titties.

build it

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Well, here's the deal. I re-worked the box, made it a bit bigger (about 2.5 cubes). If you want it any smaller, I can just chop a few inches off the top at a time until I get the right volume. Now, from what I've gathered, if I want to make a L-shaped port against one of the walls, I need to adjust the port length somehow to make up for the fact that one of the port's sides is also a wall of the box.

For now, I ported it up top again. 10"x1.5" is the best I could do, otherwise some pretty tricky cuts would be needed on the port to get the front piece again. It's 8.5" deep. I got a few pics of it going. I can make it wider of needed, like 12x1,5, but 1.5 is the max depth. Anyway, pics!

Nothing new here:

Posted Image

Is that a hole up top?

Posted Image

Let's get another look at that:

Posted Image

What if I want an x-ray view?

Posted Image

From the top:

Posted Image

From the front:

Posted Image

This box look really good bro..

Haha, I love this box design! I love it so much that I sat down, did some pretty freaking complicated geometrical maths, and came up with this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took me quite some time to get it right, but it's just over 2 cubes tuned to nearly exactly 41 hz (40.997 hz). I think it turned out looking pretty damn sweet. I liked the last one, and I love this one. This design is just so much fun to play around with.

wtf is lolcats?

Archived