Sundown Audio

would bad grounds do this?

justin smith

i hace two friends that have had the same problem, they are REAL noobs and dont like to listen

the first friend had bought the saz-1000d/12'' trash combo from *** to replace a zx400.1/dual kicker comp 12'' bought from circut city. they had 8ga power and grounds ran grounded to i dont know what. i told him he needed to uprade his electrical to accommodate the saz but he didnt. the setup ran good for a couple months then poof amp went out. so when i pulled the amp out the ground input was melted all to shit and back, couldnt even unscrew the bolt to take the wire out had to cut it

the second friend had bought a car with guess what 8ga power and ground ran and grounded to i dont know where again. so he bought the zx400.1 from friend one and at first he had the 12'' trash hooked to it at 1ohm. not knowing the idependence rise i wasnt to worried about it at first because the amp didnt go into protect or anything and sounded really good. he has had it hooked up for a couple months and now when he turned it up the bass would cut out and when he turned it down it would come back on. i thought i was because he was running the amp at 1ohm-ish so i pulled it out yesterday i pulled the amp out and the same thing ground input was melted but not to the degree of the saz and the amp still works. so i traded him 2 cvr 12's in the kicker prefab box and thought it would be all good because the amp would be at 2ohm's but today he comes over and its doing the same thing cutting out at high volumes put playing fine at low to medium volume

i am stumped and the only thing i can think of is the skimpy power and ground wire. i told them ''i use 8ga for my speaker wire not for power/ground the amp has 2ga inputs for a reason'' but they dont listem i was just going to bounce it of you guys and see what yall thought.

p.s. holy long post ftl sorry lol

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

the kicker is really pushing it on 8g, the sundown is just retarded, slap that guy

kicker is one of those amps that can only accept like a 4v input...the gain usually ends up being rediculously low on those, so turn it down like a quarter turn and it should stop cutting out.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

the second friend had bought a car with guess what 8ga power and ground ran and grounded to i dont know where again. so he bought the zx400.1 from friend one and at first he had the 12'' trash hooked to it at 1ohm. not knowing the idependence rise i wasnt to worried about it at first because the amp didnt go into protect or anything and sounded really good. he has had it hooked up for a couple months and now when he turned it up the bass would cut out and when he turned it down it would come back on. i thought i was because he was running the amp at 1ohm-ish so i pulled it out yesterday i pulled the amp out and the same thing ground input was melted but not to the degree of the saz and the amp still works. so i traded him 2 cvr 12's in the kicker prefab box and thought it would be all good because the amp would be at 2ohm's but today he comes over and its doing the same thing cutting out at high volumes put playing fine at low to medium volume

I had a RF Fosgate P600 and at high volume the amp would shut off, adjust the gain on the amp, the higher the gain, the lower the volume, lower the gain, the louder the volume can go that's from my experience.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

was the ground on bare metal? and running too small a power/ground wires could cause that also (tell me if im wrong)

The 8 Guage grounds should of been fine for the Kicker amp, 8 guage is good up to about 500-600 rms, any more than that and it is 4 guage and larger, how was the terminal on the ground cable connected, I.E. crimp, solder. Also what kranny said, was the paint sanded off on the ground point. On the Sudown amp I would of definatly used 4 guage.

Edit: I used to have my ZX.1500 amp ground to a seat bolt, and at times at high volume my amp would go into protect, took a DMM turns out the ground was only allowing my amp about 10-11V, so when I had voltage drop it would drop into the protect area and shut the amp down, so I took my drill put a hole in the trunk floor sanded the area down and bolted my ground to there and havent had any problems since......Also when drilling in the trunk know what you are drilling into, dont want to puncture your tank.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

How long is the ground ?

Was It Attatched to bare metal?

was the ground wire loose ?

A little more info would help!

Also as a friendy reminder if the bass is cutting out what kind of distribution block / fuse holders is he running ?

be sure to check all screws for the fuse holders to make sure they are tight !

or it could cause havok .

95 Civic Coupe

Pioneer AVH-P7600DVD

Kinetik HC-1200 In Front

Kinetik HC-2000 In Rear

Memphis 16-MCA3004

2 X Memphis 16-MCD1000 With Maxxsonics MLX-100

2 X DC LVL 4 XL 12's

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS In Door's

Kenwood KFC-6982ie In Rear Deck

All Memphis Wire/Rca's and misc.

tooshort.png

724920892.png

i have know idea what either one of them was grounded to i am going to be re-runing all the wire on the 2nd friends car in two weeks when he gets paid and i will make sure that the grounds are up to par. the 1st friend is currently serving a tour in iraq so his setup is on hold right now. thanks guys

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

Just a littleadvice stay away from maxi fuse's ..... I had the stinger that held 4 maxi fuses cant remember the model number but anyways the maxi fuses do not make very good connection !

it actually melted the fuses so be sure to stay away from maxi's ...

and GL .

95 Civic Coupe

Pioneer AVH-P7600DVD

Kinetik HC-1200 In Front

Kinetik HC-2000 In Rear

Memphis 16-MCA3004

2 X Memphis 16-MCD1000 With Maxxsonics MLX-100

2 X DC LVL 4 XL 12's

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS In Door's

Kenwood KFC-6982ie In Rear Deck

All Memphis Wire/Rca's and misc.

tooshort.png