Painting over chrome (answer/s inside)

Thanks man. I'll have to PM you sometime next weekend when I get ready to start (got a busy weekend ahead).

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

normally when i paint chrome pieces, i use steel wool to dull the chrome, and to help the paint adhere to the piece. ive painted wheels and some trim pieces so far, and they have turned out pretty well. just my .02

MY TRUCK BUILD - 1976 F-100 Ranger. Fully built 482 big block, 4 DC lvl4 15's in a blowthrough, plenty of custom fabrication.

MY HATCH BUILD - 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatchback . Clean daily driver, dropped, subtle customization.

teamxa2-1.jpg

normally when i paint chrome pieces, i use steel wool to dull the chrome, and to help the paint adhere to the piece. ive painted wheels and some trim pieces so far, and they have turned out pretty well. just my .02

Never heard of doing it that way. I might try it on a test section. I see how it might work. Thanks.

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

Thanks man. I'll have to PM you sometime next weekend when I get ready to start (got a busy weekend ahead).

fa shezzy

that works too

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

I just started a build log and this is actually my next step. I have been doing bodywork and minor painting for a while now but I wanted to take a real class to learn how to do it correcty. My teacher has painted for quite a while and has had a few paintjobs and tech sections done on him in carcraft magazine and some corvette publications. Anyway, the proper procedure is sand the chrome with 220 grit sandpaper so the primer has something to "bite" into. Prime (after using a degreaser and then tacking the parts with a lintless tack rag) spray an Epoxy primer, and apparently it has to be epoxy, just ask the paint supplier and tell them your shooting chrome. After that sand it down with 400 for regular paint or 600 for a candy or pearl and spray. Seems easy enough and I will be doing it next week. Check back on my build log and I should have photos up later in the week of this project.

Visit My Website

Starting From Scratch!!

I just started a build log and this is actually my next step. I have been doing bodywork and minor painting for a while now but I wanted to take a real class to learn how to do it correcty. My teacher has painted for quite a while and has had a few paintjobs and tech sections done on him in carcraft magazine and some corvette publications. Anyway, the proper procedure is sand the chrome with 220 grit sandpaper so the primer has something to "bite" into. Prime (after using a degreaser and then tacking the parts with a lintless tack rag) spray an Epoxy primer, and apparently it has to be epoxy, just ask the paint supplier and tell them your shooting chrome. After that sand it down with 400 for regular paint or 600 for a candy or pearl and spray. Seems easy enough and I will be doing it next week. Check back on my build log and I should have photos up later in the week of this project.

Visit My Website

Thanks for the advice. That doesn't sound too hard. Good news, I got my original grille out (had stored it and forgot about it). It's still in near perfect condition. So I basically have a spare to paint so I don't have to drive around without a grille ( :rofl: ).

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

i hope you mean rough steel wool like the kind you clean dishes with

because fine steel wool all your doing is cleaning the chrome

Roseville, CA

Thanks for the advice. That doesn't sound too hard. Good news, I got my original grille out (had stored it and forgot about it). It's still in near perfect condition. So I basically have a spare to paint so I don't have to drive around without a grille ( :rofl: ).

Yeah, I know. I'm driving without the grill right now! Looks retarded but I know its gonna look good when its done though. I have a lot of pieces to do.....

Starting From Scratch!!

My main problem with no grill is the front turn signals are a (removable) part of it. Without it, they are not visible and just hand loose wherever I put them.

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

Archived