Sonic Electronix

so, after getting done with my box today (actually like 8 hours ago) me and my friend dan decided to hook it up in his Thunderbird since the box was small enough to fit in the trunk, we wired the amp up via the ghetto way ( 4ga through the door jam) and the ground set right to the rear deck.

it sounded GREAT for a while, until we tried to start the car.

almost immediately the casing burnt right off of the 4ga wire, for a little bit we thought everything was dead 'till we got everything out, carried the 18 and the box back to the house, and he sped off before I could hook my infinity back up.

I tested it on a 30A 12v power supply later to find it still worked good and still outputted power like a champ.

the question is, why did the casing burn off like that? it looked like good wire and i know I couldnt have been pulling enough current to melt it :o

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

so, after getting done with my box today (actually like 8 hours ago) me and my friend dan decided to hook it up in his Thunderbird since the box was small enough to fit in the trunk, we wired the amp up via the ghetto way ( 4ga through the door jam) and the ground set right to the rear deck.

it sounded GREAT for a while, until we tried to start the car.

almost immediately the casing burnt right off of the 4ga wire, for a little bit we thought everything was dead 'till we got everything out, carried the 18 and the box back to the house, and he sped off before I could hook my infinity back up.

I tested it on a 30A 12v power supply later to find it still worked good and still outputted power like a champ.

the question is, why did the casing burn off like that? it looked like good wire and i know I couldnt have been pulling enough current to melt it :o

well you probably answered your own question man..."via the ghetto way"...my guess is it probably didnt have a suitable ground or it could have shorted somewhere...

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

well you probably answered your own question man..."via the ghetto way"...my guess is it probably didnt have a suitable ground or it could have shorted somewhere...

I was thinking it might have shorted to ground since my ground wire was slightly melted.

still freaked me the hell out :o

thank god I put time into my saturn, I spent nearly 5 hours running wires.

half of which I was testing different grounding locations and drinkin' on that fizzy water.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

I still didnt really see anything touching, was dans car anyway so I dont really care about it :D

speaking of which, box pics will be up real soon, just hopped out of the shower (dont worry im fully dressed, so dont get that assumption of a 200 pound naked guy running around :P)

EDIT : Have a picture without the drama of post whoring ;D

ssassniper182.jpg

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

Archived