Running a PC 24/7 ???

Server HDD and Desktop HDDs are not the same. They do the same thing, but most server hard drives handle massive vibrations from the racks a lot better and also have better MTBFs as well.

vibrations are not what makes those HDD's fail its Heat, and in that aspect they are pretty much all one in the same. with adequite cooling any hdd is gonna last just as long as the other

Guest DC Power Kyle

vibrations does make a big play in failures. I do not want to argue on this but when you're talking about 30 servers in a rack or more that radiates a lot of vibrations on the drives. That's like saying dropping a hard drive doesn't hurt it at all... But yes, heat does hurt hard drives too.

But whatever I don't know nothing... only ran servers with 16 750s and dual quad cores.

vibrations does make a big play in failures. I do not want to argue on this but when you're talking about 30 servers in a rack or more that radiates a lot of vibrations on the drives. That's like saying dropping a hard drive doesn't hurt it at all... But yes, heat does hurt hard drives too.

But whatever I don't know nothing... only ran servers with 16 750s and dual quad cores.

im not saying vibration doesnt hurt a HDD im saying heat is the primary issue an end user would have an HHD fail not vibration so in that matter they are all one in the same. no end user is running 16-30 HDD's (besides me anyhow) 24/7 operation generates heat mostly and thats why people have failures not because of vibrations.

oh and my HDD's are all in one case sitting in a closet in my apartment

ive setup servers for about 10 years and have a bachelors in computer technology and networking. if vibrations are fucking your HDD's you bought a shitty rack or your system admin is worthless in installing them correctly

Guest DC Power Kyle

Well we can agree on something then. Yes vibration isn't the MAIN cause but it is a cause of failure. Heat kills everything duh lol. What I was trying to prove is that SOME hard drives (depending on what you want to spend) are made different server vs desktop thats all. Not to start a flame war.

/white flag

http://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...ard_drives_.pdf

1.1.4.2 Rotational Vibration

Rotational vibration is measured in Radians per second per second, which refers to vibration in the same plane that the drive spins. Vibration in other planes is frequently lumped in with this term though. Drive manufacturer specifications for vibration are usually limited to measurements within the rotational plane and high vibration frequency ranges may not be addressed by manufacturer specifications.

The source of vibration that can affect drive operation can come from moving components within a system, such as fans and neighboring hard drives. Vibration from fans can be transmitted through the system chassis to hard drives, and vibration from a drive can be transferred to another drive, or from the drive to the system and then reflected back to the originating drive. While data is read from or written to a disk, these vibrations can push the read/write head out of alignment with the data track. Failure to compensate for vibration induced misalignment can result in data that is written or read off track. This increases the possibility that an off-track write could corrupt data in an adjoining track, or that an off-track read could result in incorrect data or data that cannot be located or read.

Enterprise class drives provide a more sophisticated compensation for vibration by sensing the vibration motion of the drive, and by sensing head position and track alignment. The drive can then react with additional actuator strength or wait for the spindle motor to spin the target media location under the head again so that it can re-attempt access. Some forms of misalignment compensation can have a dramatic impact on performance due to the time required to spin the data target location back under the read/write head. Performance loss of up to 90% has been observed in some tests. The amount of performance loss is dependent on the frequency and strength of the vibration.

Edited by DC Power Kyle