white4d96 Posted September 16, 2009 Report Posted September 16, 2009 I was considering a T-line bandpass but forgot I have the tiniest trunk in a big car ever. SO! I am thinking about building a 4th-order bandpass, IF I can get it to sound good on music. I have heard the band-pass horror stories, but have heard that a well-designed 4th-order can do great on music. Questions are: -What TS parameters do I need to know to design the box? -How do I know what size sealed chamber and what size ported chamber to use? -Would I be better off just using a ported enclosure? Thanks in advance, -Austin Too many projects, too little time...
1030tooled Posted September 16, 2009 Report Posted September 16, 2009 I like to ask "why put a bandpass into your bandpass/vehicle?" The down fall to a bandpass is the PASSBAND of hertz. The positive is, an absolute JUNK speaker can sound awsome. What car is it and what subs used. 93' Ford Aerostar Alpine head unit 4-5.25 MB Quarts 20-10" pyramids super Pro 1 Lanzar amp
white4d96 Posted September 16, 2009 Author Report Posted September 16, 2009 96 Pontiac Grand Prix 4-door, using two Alpine SWR-1222d (Type R 12's). I have a bit of trunk space to use. I had heard that a properly designed 4th order could kick the crap out of a ported box on music, hence my considering the design. As stated I was going to try a 1/4 wave bandpass but I don't have enough trunk to do so. I am looking for semiflat response from 20 to about 100hz. Right now I am using a 33hz ported box for two Alpine S-10's and it only goes from like 30hz to about 60 with that flat response I want. Too many projects, too little time...
Lord Baccus Posted September 16, 2009 Report Posted September 16, 2009 My griend you have been mislead....!!! come back towards the light have a look here http://www.pwkdesigns.com/ http://www.pwkdesigns.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8 Pete can get ya where yer tring to go with easy Agreed Banpass boxxs are the worst choice, they hit on 1 or 2 songs then its like there no sub on the other songs cuss there out of the boxxs Freq range then the sub suffers damage
Torres Posted September 16, 2009 Report Posted September 16, 2009 I like to ask "why put a bandpass into your bandpass/vehicle?"yes you do...you only post that in every thread about bandpasses http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif I had heard that a properly designed 4th order could kick the crap out of a ported box on music, hence my considering the design.they are tricky to design and require lots of testing, but a well built box can play very well. i eventually plan on trying to 'put a bandpass box into my bandpass vehicle'. just to try it out and learn some things. i will most likely go back to ported as i'm going to be working on a new promising one soon, and i like to see out the back window lol
Cr@sh Posted September 16, 2009 Report Posted September 16, 2009 As far as kicking the crap out of, how so? I'm just curious what you were told. SPL maybe, if designed right as for musical that be something to see. My old install at cardomain, never finished!
aznboi3644 Posted September 16, 2009 Report Posted September 16, 2009 yes you do...you only post that in every thread about bandpasses http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif agreed...its annoying and irrelevant. Doesn't matter what enclosure you install...the vehicle is still a big leaky box.
white4d96 Posted September 16, 2009 Author Report Posted September 16, 2009 I was looking at vehicles like Jack's sleeper which IIRC is a 4th order and from what I've heard does amazing on music. I haven't heard it personally but that's the vibe I got from it. Too many projects, too little time...
aznboi3644 Posted September 17, 2009 Report Posted September 17, 2009 asking a 4th order bandpass to give you over two octaves of bandwith. Its possible at the cost of efficiency...not sure how well it will be though. getting the response flat and a bandwith that wide is going to be hard
white4d96 Posted September 17, 2009 Author Report Posted September 17, 2009 I might just cave and build a good ported box. Maybe if I get into the lanes later I'll build a 6th-order for these puppies just for the hell of it. I'll post design ideas in another thread. Thanks a million guys! Too many projects, too little time...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.