Sundown Audio

fixin broken amp

troy

ok dont laugh but im trying to fix an ol school power acoustik amp. its a lt-980/2. some one told me that it could be a output transistor that is messed up. jw inside1.jpg these are the gut shots and was wondering which of the transistors under the black plates were the output ones

retarded build on the way.....

2000 bagged s10

2 hdc3 15s

aq2200

aq4x90

stinger/knu wire

optima batteries

220 amp alt

fosgate hu/mids and highs

The right hand half of the amp is the output side in that pic.

You really need special tools to work on amps with those kinds of transistor clips. If you mess them up you're screwed.

What's wrong with it? If it's stuck in protect or kills speakers then it's probably an output transistor.

If it blows fuses it's usually the power supply.

Biggest problem with those amps is that vertical card down by the input end, very fiddly, tiny little traces, if something on there is smoked then they're no fun to fix.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

it just simply doesnt work. it doesnt power up or anything. honestly i really dont care if i mess something up its more of just a learning experience more than anything. it was in a trash can when i found it. the clips are off. i got all of them off w/o bending any of the transistor legs or anything so that wasnt a problem. but like i said it doesnt even power up at all. the fuses are all good and know i had it wired right.

retarded build on the way.....

2000 bagged s10

2 hdc3 15s

aq2200

aq4x90

stinger/knu wire

optima batteries

220 amp alt

fosgate hu/mids and highs

http://www.bcae1.com/repairbasicsforbcae1/repairbasics.htm

very good website.

check the ohms of the power supply transistor legs.

look on website...

My 93 chevy truck Orion HCCA 15's Build

6K HID's

2 orion HCCA 15.4

2 AP30001D's

2 optima yellowtops, 2 C&D 270fr's, all 3 tsunami 1/0, CS144 190 amp

Rockford p200-2

Rockford p200-2

Rockford p300-1

Kole KX1 5500D -broken

sounds like the power side

I have a hifonics that is apart right now, I am replacing all the transistors, I work at a place that they build controls for cnc's so the guys there said they are usally paired so if you change them all you should have no worried, I get parts from this site b&d enterprise they let you by one or two "chips" not 100 like others, I got the replacement amp for my HU there (to bad it dasnt the only prob),

Archived