Need some tips on detailing a black car

First of all this inspired me

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=51330

Anyway

I have never really been into the exterior looks of a car, more of the sound, now I am. But I want a long lasting job, not one that lasts a week or two. I mean months if thats possible...... idk. I have tried to wax my car before, but I dont think I have done the precleaning that was needed. So what do I need. Buffer, Microfiber Towels, Clay Bar, "Clay Lube" aka pre cleaner, washed and dryed car Overcast kind of day. Does that sound about right? I have a black car so is there anything special I need to do? Vids Links advice? Anything that you will think that will help me I will appriciate. (Steps would be nice also)

Edited by Crump

Beware, it can be addicting.

What you need as far as products is dependent on what you want as far as results. You can do a wax job by hand that'll last just as long as if you did it by machine, the difference will be the level of correction you can get. Obviously you'll get more correction using a machine. I don't have the time to get down to the nitty gritty here and now but I'll get back to you.

Edited by SQMonte

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

First of all this inspired me

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=51330

Anyway

I have never really been into the exterior looks of a car, more of the sound, now I am. But I want a long lasting job, not one that lasts a week or two. I mean months if thats possible...... idk. I have tried to wax my car before, but I dont think I have done the precleaning that was needed. So what do I need. Buffer, Microfiber Towels, Clay Bar, "Clay Lube" aka pre cleaner, washed and dryed car Overcast kind of day. Does that sound about right? I have a black car so is there anything special I need to do? Vids Links advice? Anything that you will think that will help me I will appriciate. (Steps would be nice also)

I've got a darker color car not exactly black but the same principals apply.

MICROFIBER!!! thats the biggest help in the world you want have little towel threads all over your car and you can get little finger prints out and make it look nice. buy a set of like 12 from kragen and use 1 for different things like 1 for windows, 1 for waxing, 1 for wiping the wax, 1 for plastics, if you catch my drift.

so this is what I do to my car I'll post some pictures today since I just finished finally getting mine detailed.

park in the shade and wash your car... I'm not going to go into that because people wash different ways but the main point is to get the dirt off so use lots of water and keep rinsing to further avoid water spots.

get it all dry door jambs included.

next step I do is grab my meguiars back to black for my black plastic to bring it back to life and not faded.

only use a dedicated MF because if you use the back to black on paint its difficult to get off.

you want to do that step after you wash because you will get it on your paint like around the door handles for me

next is meguiars clay kit... its the only one i've used so far and I like it.

it comes with 2 clay bars, detailing spray which is the lubricant, and a large yellow microfiber.

go to one section of your car again in the shade and make sure the paint is fairly cool. spray the whole panel so that its almost dripping and have your clay ready and kneaded out and spray that.

my mistake was I used pressure the first time I used the clay and it left residue. DON'T!!! just glide it across the paint you should hear the particles getting caught and you will be able to see the dirt in the clay.

then wipe off the lubricant your paint should be really smooth.

you want to make sure to do the clay before any polishing or waxing because if you don't you are just polishing dirt particles that could scratch the clear coat.

next is the polishing/glaze this should take out light swirl marks and make your paint very glossy mirror finish.

each polish is different in the way it breaks down so read the directions before you do otherwise you could leave macromarring or more swirls. I can't remember but I think I use meguiars polish/glaze as well.

...again a dedicated microfiber for each the polishing and wiping the polish off.

next step is waxing the wax will seal in all the work you have just done if you do it properly.

most people think that waxing your car is what detailing is but its the last step.

I use meguiars carnuba wax... you get a little sample of it with the clay kit.

next is tire shine thats preference I have used different types and almost all will stain the ground if you don't cover it and I litterally mean stain you cannot wash it out.

I have rims so the next step is polishing my rims with a metal polish I have thats green and very liquidy my neighbor gave it to me so I don't know where he got it but it works very well with my rims to get water spots out and for the chrome on my car to get it shining like new.

and the very last step is cleaning the windows. using a microfiber saves you a lot of time compared to a regular terry cloth... stoners invisible glass is the best to use because it is ammonia free for tint and it doesn't leave streaks.

thats just exterior :lol: interior will be another day.

hope that helps :friends:

Edited by thehoe92

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Wow great reply, So Meguiers is the shit eh? Do I need to order this online or Advance Auto Parts/ or Autozone. IF its done correctly with no steps skipped how long will this last me? with normal wear and tear? And is using a buffer is as good as hand detailing? because that would save time on the big sections :D Thanks

Wow great reply, So Meguiers is the shit eh? Do I need to order this online or Advance Auto Parts/ or Autozone. IF its done correctly with no steps skipped how long will this last me? with normal wear and tear? And is using a buffer is as good as hand detailing? because that would save time on the big sections :D Thanks

if you have a black car and dont know how to use a buffer, i would recomend you stay away from it. swral marks are hard to get rid of but easy to get. doing it by hand will invole alot more work but a better resalt in the end. (not better then a buffer at no means, but better then a buffer if you dont know what your doing) doing all the steps by hand , doing it right and takeing your time all said in done maybe 3 hours. unfortanly you have a black car in order to keep it lookin great it involes cleaning everyday. the wax will last bout a month with everyday wash and wax. with mine i have a dark blue i gave up on keeping it clean but to keep it clean all the time was a pain wash everyday and dry. with a quick wax.

~2006 chrysler Sebring~

~2 runs of 1/0 front to back~

~1/0 wire for "big 3"~

-------------------------------------------------------

4 spl-hx 12'' dual 2

2 dtr 1.3400

3 c&d terminologies 1000s

100 aH Each

piccso 6.5 comps

pinoeer avh 4900dvd

pioneer xm box

blue gauges

custom dave the box guys box

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new stuff on the way

Team

Soundstream

I've got a darker color car not exactly black but the same principals apply.

MICROFIBER!!! thats the biggest help in the world you want have little towel threads all over your car and you can get little finger prints out and make it look nice. buy a set of like 12 from kragen and use 1 for different things like 1 for windows, 1 for waxing, 1 for wiping the wax, 1 for plastics, if you catch my drift.

so this is what I do to my car I'll post some pictures today since I just finished finally getting mine detailed.

park in the shade and wash your car... I'm not going to go into that because people wash different ways but the main point is to get the dirt off so use lots of water and keep rinsing to further avoid water spots.

get it all dry door jambs included.

next step I do is grab my meguiars back to black for my black plastic to bring it back to life and not faded.

only use a dedicated MF because if you use the back to black on paint its difficult to get off.

you want to do that step after you wash because you will get it on your paint like around the door handles for me

next is meguiars clay kit... its the only one i've used so far and I like it.

it comes with 2 clay bars, detailing spray which is the lubricant, and a large yellow microfiber.

go to one section of your car again in the shade and make sure the paint is fairly cool. spray the whole panel so that its almost dripping and have your clay ready and kneaded out and spray that.

my mistake was I used pressure the first time I used the clay and it left residue. DON'T!!! just glide it across the paint you should hear the particles getting caught and you will be able to see the dirt in the clay.

then wipe off the lubricant your paint should be really smooth.

you want to make sure to do the clay before any polishing or waxing because if you don't you are just polishing dirt particles that could scratch the clear coat.

next is the polishing/glaze this should take out light swirl marks and make your paint very glossy mirror finish.

each polish is different in the way it breaks down so read the directions before you do otherwise you could leave macromarring or more swirls. I can't remember but I think I use meguiars polish/glaze as well.

...again a dedicated microfiber for each the polishing and wiping the polish off.

next step is waxing the wax will seal in all the work you have just done if you do it properly.

most people think that waxing your car is what detailing is but its the last step.

I use meguiars carnuba wax... you get a little sample of it with the clay kit.

next is tire shine thats preference I have used different types and almost all will stain the ground if you don't cover it and I litterally mean stain you cannot wash it out.

I have rims so the next step is polishing my rims with a metal polish I have thats green and very liquidy my neighbor gave it to me so I don't know where he got it but it works very well with my rims to get water spots out and for the chrome on my car to get it shining like new.

and the very last step is cleaning the windows. using a microfiber saves you a lot of time compared to a regular terry cloth... stoners invisible glass is the best to use because it is ammonia free for tint and it doesn't leave streaks.

thats just exterior :lol: interior will be another day.

hope that helps :friends:

great directions the only thing i do diffrent is tire shine, i do first after the wash, only becuse i use the black shine wet stuff so theres no spray but takes a while to dry there for i aways did that first so the tire shine dont get on the paint.

~2006 chrysler Sebring~

~2 runs of 1/0 front to back~

~1/0 wire for "big 3"~

-------------------------------------------------------

4 spl-hx 12'' dual 2

2 dtr 1.3400

3 c&d terminologies 1000s

100 aH Each

piccso 6.5 comps

pinoeer avh 4900dvd

pioneer xm box

blue gauges

custom dave the box guys box

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new stuff on the way

Team

Soundstream

if you have a black car and dont know how to use a buffer, i would recomend you stay away from it. swral marks are hard to get rid of but easy to get. doing it by hand will invole alot more work but a better resalt in the end. (not better then a buffer at no means, but better then a buffer if you dont know what your doing) doing all the steps by hand , doing it right and takeing your time all said in done maybe 3 hours. unfortanly you have a black car in order to keep it lookin great it involes cleaning everyday. the wax will last bout a month with everyday wash and wax. with mine i have a dark blue i gave up on keeping it clean but to keep it clean all the time was a pain wash everyday and dry. with a quick wax.

Yeah, um if i Have to wash my car everyday to keep it clean, not worth it to me..... I honestly dont have to time to manually wash it everyday, im in school till 330. Work at 4-9/10. Homework Bed. i dont have time to wash it everyday. Thanks for the tips n shit though

I was thinking waxing once every 1-2 months. I would do that, but everyday. Fuck that

Edited by Crump

• 1 month later...

since my business is detailing i make black cars look good. sorry for reviving an old thread.

if you have a black car and want it looking good maybe going with a DA buffer is best. with a traditional buffer you can mar the paint more than fixing it and you can actually wear the clear coat down and make it fragile and thin. here is a car i did for a body shop the other day:

bf127154.jpg

95af678d.jpg

the hoe 92 i know this was months ago but the green polish u have or had is liquified rouge or buffing compound with paint thinner to liquify it. there are various colors and each color is a different quality green is expensive like rubyred jewelers rouge u see green is the same as that.Green red and yellow are finishing colorsand r the best.They also have a better brilliance to themthan the next three colors., blue purple white are also finishing colors they are still good but will not last as long. and then there is brown which is pretty much for cleaning the wheel . It is originally in like a hard rock paste form is the best way to explain it. When it comes to liquid hand polish blue is the best to use over all. the hard form is used with table grinder with a cloth buffing wheel or an 8" angle grinder with the same pad.You can easily get this polish at any autozone but it kinda sucks. If you go out to any7 big exit along the interstate where they polish aluminum and stainless on semis or have a chrome shop that would be ur best bet to get it at. It'll prolly be more expensive though but there will be a noticable difference. if u have an angle grinder 6000 rpm or better thatll be real good youll briing out a totally different shine now if u have chrome is a lil more difficult to polish with a machine cuz u could possibly burn the clear coat off or change the color of it if u do it to rough. if u decide to do this send a message to me and ill give u some tips on machine polished wheels