Second Skin Audio

effects of polyfill in a sealed enclosure???

Rogers

so ive heard this and that about it... some people say it tricks the woofs into thinking they are in a bigger box and shit like that....

so what are the true effects and or purpose?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

so ive heard this and that about it... some people say it tricks the woofs into thinking they are in a bigger box and shit like that....

so what are the true effects and or purpose?

yeah it goes something like making the back waves slow down and make the low freq easier to hit...i tryed that poly fiberfill but didnt sound diff to me.

RE se xxx 18d2 (4)

Audioque 2200 (2)

DC Power 270XP blue

3 C&D fr310

Stinger wiring

CDT components

hummm... going by physics or whatever the only thing i can see it doing is reducing the internal volume... thus making the bass punchier.... and that is what i want.... but i could be completely wrong...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

With sealed enclosures I have noticed huge differences by useing polly-fill in the propper sealed enlcosures.

In my opinion if you know how to use poly-fill propperly you should see no negative results and far better sound quality.

The rule of thumb is 1 pound to 1.5 pounds of poly-fill per cubic foot. I recommend staying close to no more than 1 pound per cubic foot.

To be honest I have found this rule to be very important to follow as there are terrible negative consequences by useing to much poly-fill.

These 2 negative consequences are decreased output and over excursion and if you do not reconize this you will most likely suffer mechanical issues such as stressing or destroying the spiders/suspension of your subwoofers.

Unfortunetly if you run more than one subwoofer in your system and like to push everything to the max it is vital/crucial to make sure that you have an exact equal amount of polly-fill per subwoofer.

I have unfortunetly ran many dual subwoofer setups were I have ruined the suspension on one woofer and not the other because I did not use the same amount in both sides of my box. I just had abunch laying around from the past and tried to eyeball it and what would usually happen after about 6 months would be a popping sound comeing from the spider and the techs at Kicker would call this oil canning becaused it sounds just like the popping sound you would get from opening up the old fashioned oil cans.

Lets just say I litterly weigh out all of my polly-fill now and my last setup would have really shocked alot of people from the quality of my bass response. I even exceded my expectations and in my opinion would have shocked the shit out of alot of Kicker L7 haters.

My example would be an internal volume of .7 cubic feet per 10 inch sub with 6 ounces of polly-fill per section.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

if you didnt already know, you can "tune" a sealed enclosure. I dont remember the specifics about how much airspace you need to tune to a certain freq, but the poly-fill will lower the tune of the box so if you're lookin to hit harder in the lower freq then do it, if ur lookin to get some more airspace from a smaller than desired box then again..do it.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

If you over do it though you will have negative side affects.

You can use to much polly-fill.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

well im not exactly sure what my exact purpose for it is... im running 4 re audio rex8's in a 1.4ish cube sealed box and they share the same chamber... it seems like the woofers are bottoming out easily... i am under powering them a little and they sound sloppy.... they have poor bass response... i want that deep accurate tight bass.... they have kinda a hollow sound... im not really into listening the lows much... im all for the double kick and the occasional bass tester demo for a friend or something....

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

IMO.

Rite off the batt I do not feel you should be shareing airspace and am 100% against the thought under any circumstances when it envolves a sealed enclosure. Each sub should be in its own seperate airspace.

For ease of math I'll use 1.5 divided by 4 equals .375 cubic feet per 8, then I would add close to 2.5 ounces of polly-fill per section.

If you want to use what you have already it would be worth trying 1 pound of polly-fill for $2.50 from wally world (walmart) and there is a really good chance it will get ride of the worst of that hollowness sound you have.

Polly fill does more than people realize and I have been messing with it for 15 years.

So $2.50 for a pound, its worth a try first.

Terryswork001.png

Again I'm personally against the shared airspace and most likely contributing to your bottoming out issue.

Terryswork001.png

Archived