Second Skin Audio

effects of polyfill in a sealed enclosure???

Rogers

well... i put a lil over a pound of polyfill in my enclosure and it did make it easier to hit the lows and harder to hit the highs... and the woofs are still bottoming out between 30-40hz.... the polyfill didnt cause it though... i already had the problem... i just dont know what to do at this point... im actually thinking about giving these subs hell untill they pop and then upgrading to 8" l7's or something like that... im not sure if my enclosure is too big or too small... or maby its neither... and the woofers are acting weard since they are sharing the same chamber...hell idk... at this point..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Well I take it, it sounds better.

Rogers I'm confident the reason they are bottoming is because they are in a shared airspace.

A sealed design has a fair amount of different properties than a ported design. IMO shared airspace is a very bad thing in a sealed design and the only way I would attempt it, is if I was going with a smaller than recommended air space than the 4 woofers needed to function together.

Going to 8" L7s will not solve your problem and your woofers are fine so don't count your setup out yet. You still have a few options.

If you want to wait I can type out you options or PM me a phone number and I'll tell you the 2 things on my mind real quick.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

ive got all the time in the world bro... nothings going anywhere...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

ive got all the time in the world bro... nothings going anywhere...

LOL I'll get to typeing then. :D

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

i appreciate it... very much....

ive never had a problem with woofers sharing space... but my other enclosures that i designed and built were vented..... so im kinda going back to noob stage with a sealed box...

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

wow... still typing.... lol... must be some indepth shit... thats dedication... lol... i look forward to this...lol

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

1st we will work with your sealed design and if all else fails, its time to go ported.

Try #1: So you already have alittle over a pound of poly-fill in a 1.4 cubic foot enclosure. You can try running up to 2.5 pounds of poly fill and I would do this in increments of 1/3 lb at a time or start at 1.5 lbs then 1.75 lbs or go strait to 2 lbs, in you situation I would go strait to 2 lbs and see what it sounds like.

If you are haveing positive results then try alittle more until you start haveing negative results.

Do you have a set of digital scales, if so a ziplock bag and the Tare button are going to be your best friend since you are doing trial and error work and heck write down your opinions on each amount. Keep a log of your work.

Try #1 is not my favorite idea, its just an idea and all of this is trial and error work.

Try #2 and this idea I like. Find a solid material such as cut lengths of 2x4s and shrink down the airspace of your enclosure. If it was me the first trial I would do is to shrink down the airspace to one cubic foot sealed with one pound of poly fill and I have a funny feeling that this will do the trick.

If that doesn't work then cut it down to .75 or go up to 1.25. Remember its all about trial and error at this point in the game.

As for sealed thats about all I can think of without trying to divide the chambers.

Ported is your next option and probably your best option since you have shared airspace.

For this you will probably need to get RE involved. If they are as good as Kicker and Fosgate they will be more than happy to take the time to help you.

From looking at your pics I can possibly see 4 2 inch ports firing up. Go with 3 inch ports if you can but I don't think 3 inch will fit rite in your box.

One rule of thumb when useing round ports is that what ever the diameter is, is the same distance you want to be from all walls (in your case not possible) but most important is to make sure you have that much room from the end of your port to the contacting wall. In other words a 2 inch port needs to have 2 inches from the end of the port to the wall adjacent to it. Across from it. 2 inch port, 2 inch gap. 3 inch port needs a 3 inch gap for air flow reasons.

If you get that then now its time to Email RE and make sure you send atleast the 2 pics that you posted and heck send them the link to this thread so they have more of an idea of whats going on.

Now you need to give them your specs and from what I'm seeing the 4 corners are the only places long enough to put 2 inch ports. Pull one of your end subs out and get a measurement from the exterior of the top of your box to the interior of the bottom of your box so they have something to work with.

Tell them your story, total airspace, area were you can put ports and the depth of that area and ask them to do the best they can do with what you have already built and most importantly be nice to them.

Don't worry about going ported with what you have. Remember that they are 8s in an extended cab truck, you shouldn't be expecting to be hitting the lows and sub-sonics. I run 10s in a single cab truck and I ask myself all the time why am I insistent on running a sealed setup because its a horrible enviroment to create 20 hertz in and there is no reason for me to keep trying to do it. (I am though) 4 10s 3,000 watts sealed, I'm just to lazy to build it.LOL

I have probably left something out and ya know RE is here at SMD, why not post a link to this thread in their section with a heading saying would you please help me and inside with the link put this is what I know so far and can you help me with a ported design. I'm sure they are nice guys.

Good luck and hope this helps some. :D

Terryswork001.png

i appreciate it... very much....

ive never had a problem with woofers sharing space... but my other enclosures that i designed and built were vented..... so im kinda going back to noob stage with a sealed box...

LOL I'm just really Fucking slow at typing. Thats why I'm willing to talk on the phone. LOL

Terryswork001.png

iso i appreciate your time so much!.... i think im going to go with the shrink the internal volume idea first... the add more polyfill idea just sound like a dead end...which im assuming thats your opinnion on it also... anyways we will see how that works out... if all else fails..... i will have a college loan within the next couple weeks... so i dont see any reason why i cant build another enclosure... the time and effort are going to be the biggest hassle... but ive got some new ideas.... so ill see if i can get this one to work, if not i may just start at square 1 and go ported with a new design...

thank you again for all your time!

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

Archived