Ported or not?

JV0493

Ive been doin ported boxes in my car for a while with one sealed box inbetween somewhere, I put a sealed box in my gfs car due to space a little while ago, and im about to switch back to sealed for a while because that sealed boxes hits notes all around, my ported boxed usually do good from ~20 to ~45 or 50. I think mine have been peaking to low, and not playin higher notes, but when i tune higher i cant get the lows at all. so with to lower rolloff of a sealed box im goin back to it for a while, The sealed box i had was also the only box to have my faceplate pop off the radio,

• 2 weeks later...

I want my bass to sound clean and clear not just rattle the crap out of my car.

If you want clean, pure bass that doesn't need to cause an earthquake take a look at the Autotuba

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/AutoTuba.html

It get amazingly loud off of almost no power, not to mention it is cheap, and has better SQ than any direct radiator configuration.

Its a bit more complicated than a regular vented enclosure but its well worth it.

If you want clean, pure bass that doesn't need to cause an earthquake take a look at the Autotuba

It get amazingly loud off of almost no power, not to mention it is cheap, and has better SQ than any direct radiator configuration.

Its a bit more complicated than a regular vented enclosure but its well worth it.

just a horn box.

• 1 month later...

How the hell are you going to get good SQ out of plywood???????

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

What exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of a ported box? My dad was into SQL back in the day and said no one ever ported their boxes. Does a ported box hurt SQ?

The difference is the more air you move the more sound waves you produce. But the hard part about a ported box is tuning it correctly with the least amount of sound waves getting canceled out that's where SQ comes into play. The least amount of waves canceled out produces a clearer sound that is louder without "muddying" up.

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

The difference is the more air you move the more sound waves you produce. But the hard part about a ported box is tuning it correctly with the least amount of sound waves getting canceled out that's where SQ comes into play. The least amount of waves canceled out produces a clearer sound that is louder without "muddying" up.

so more air moved = more soundwaves? so a sealed 18 has more soundwaves than a sealed 12? I think not. More air moved means more presssure. A ported box helps allign the front and back waves of the driver to gain more output. It effects the amplitude of the wave, doesnt make more waves. Feel free to correct me if im wrong here.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Archived