S15_Silvia Posted October 13, 2009 Report Posted October 13, 2009 So I have a sub on the way, the one in my sig. I'm looking at running about 1kW RMS to it through a Crown CE1000 amp (link), in bridged 4ohm mode. However, I obviously am going to need a crossover for the thing, as it doesn't have one built in. So far I've looked on eBay for a home audio crossover (haven't put a thread in the FS section here yet) but I haven't come up with anything other than expensive-ass audiophile stuff or POS Pyle stuff. I decided to look into car audio crossovers, like the Kicker KX2. (simple 2-way crossover) It looks great to me, but I have a couple questions regarding input/output voltage. I'm looking at running my iPod or computer into the crossover, both of which at full volume I assume put out less than 2V through the headphone jack (possibly clipped to hell). Would a car audio crossover be able to pick up this little voltage? And if so, what kind of output voltage are we looking at, because I don't really know what the input voltage range of the CE1000 is. (It uses DJ-style XLR inputs, but I can acquire some RCA-to-XLR adapters) Any help would be awesome...just don't wanna fry anything is all. 2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix | On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said: 3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man. My feedback thread
Boon Posted October 13, 2009 Report Posted October 13, 2009 You should be OK... computers and Ipods generally output approximately 1v at full output which will be fine for what you're after. Consider using the ipod through the line out on the dock connector. 10.x volts fo' life!
1992Chevy K1500 Posted October 13, 2009 Report Posted October 13, 2009 I asked a similar question and it was recommended that I get a line driver like the RF-BLD ( http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/pr...mp;locale=en_US ). It's a bit expensive, but would be worth it. At full volume, my laptop outputs 2 volts but it's clipped to hell (probably a near perfect square wave, if I had to guess). I'd personally recommend not going above 75% volume on the laptop/ipod. The line driver will boost the voltage without introducing noise to the system. My comp setup (Not bad for what it is): HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with: 15.4" widescreen AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor 2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz) Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD 128MB shared video memory Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours) What it does: On a USB 2.0 Wireless card
S15_Silvia Posted October 14, 2009 Author Report Posted October 14, 2009 I asked a similar question and it was recommended that I get a line driver like the RF-BLD ( http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/pr...mp;locale=en_US ). It's a bit expensive, but would be worth it. At full volume, my laptop outputs 2 volts but it's clipped to hell (probably a near perfect square wave, if I had to guess). I'd personally recommend not going above 75% volume on the laptop/ipod. The line driver will boost the voltage without introducing noise to the system. I like the idea of that, just I don't think I have room for it in my budget. I'm hoping that the line out from my iPod dock will be enough output for now. - didn't Steve run his iPod straight into his amps while re-doing his setup? Or am I missing something... 2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix | On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said: 3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man. My feedback thread
1992Chevy K1500 Posted October 14, 2009 Report Posted October 14, 2009 IDK if he did. I think the Ipod has a much higher voltage than a computer though. I wish mine still worked... My comp setup (Not bad for what it is): HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with: 15.4" widescreen AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor 2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz) Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD 128MB shared video memory Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours) What it does: On a USB 2.0 Wireless card
S15_Silvia Posted October 14, 2009 Author Report Posted October 14, 2009 That's vid 17...at 4:00 you can see Steve putting his iPod thorough at least one amp (dunno if he has it through the 3Sixtys though) 2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix | On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said: 3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man. My feedback thread
S15_Silvia Posted October 18, 2009 Author Report Posted October 18, 2009 I just have one more question...since I'll probably be running the Kicker KX2 (or a different crossover if someone suggests something better for the money) is it all right to not have an LPF? I mean, I don't know how often I'll be getting into sub-20Hz stuff so there might not even be an issue. 2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix | On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said: 3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man. My feedback thread
Mtgrooves Posted October 18, 2009 Report Posted October 18, 2009 if you want better out put out of a DAC converter I use a usb DAC and love it.http://store.nhthifi.com/s.nl/sc.12/category.1213/.f this is were I got mine The Shoe Maker without shoes!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.