Lappy Became a Smoker!

Whelp, I don't know what to say. Nobody in the house is a smoker! I don't know where he picked it up. lol

It will use battery power, but the plug is gone. It was something I figured was going to happen, but it hadn't happened for so long, I'd just dismissed it. For the longest, with my laptop you had to wedge something under the power plug because the port desoldered (I think that's the correct way of describing it) from the board. Being that my soldering skills aren't up to the task, Lappy already had some age to him, and the price of fixing it would be enough to get an entry level computer, I just rode it until the wheels fell off. I'm figuring that it just shorted itself out.

It sure was a shock seeing smoke filtering out of the USB ports though. lol

I've already ordered my new laptop, and being that I'm in college was a huge help. Educational discounts FTW.

I got the HP G60T. Its nothing outrageous, just something that I can lug back and forth to school, do old school gaming on, etc.

64 bit Vista, T6500 (thought about going bigger, but decided against it), Free upgrade to 4 gigs of ram, free upgrade to 250 gig HD, Upgraded to the LED backlit display, I got the N networking card with bluetooth (one feature I should have gotten on the old comp), and I was in need of a new booksack anyway, so I tossed one in the cart.

Out the door for 700ish. Now the waiting game begins.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Did you get a free Windows 7 upgrade?

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

Did you get a free Windows 7 upgrade?

I will be. Still not sure if I want to buy the retail version though. I'll upgrade, and if the bloatware isn't too bad, I'll keep it. But if it is ridiculous, I'm going retail.

And I haven't yet seen an HP that didn't have their name all throughout it.

EDIT: Win 7 is the only thing I'll miss about the old one though. That thing NEEDED 7 to run with any kind of speed. We'll see how Vista does on a properly configured comp.

Edited by BJD3

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

I will be. Still not sure if I want to buy the retail version though. I'll upgrade, and if the bloatware isn't too bad, I'll keep it. But if it is ridiculous, I'm going retail.

And I haven't yet seen an HP that didn't have their name all throughout it.

EDIT: Win 7 is the only thing I'll miss about the old one though. That thing NEEDED 7 to run with any kind of speed. We'll see how Vista does on a properly configured comp.

You can use this program to remove all the unwanted crap that manufacturers put it.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

This post is long as hell, so I'll move the "tl;dr" up top.

*I like Lappy.

*HP's upgrade process sucks and requires you to copy down the Order Number.

*You must use IE, and if you don't have access to IE, you're pretty much screwed.

And here we go with the post:

I just got it in this afternoon, and have been messing around with it tonight. So far so good. Build quality is slightly lower than I expected, but not ridiculously so. I'm liking the number pad on the side of the keyboard. I DO have the HDMI port. Overall I'm content with my purchase.

My biggest gripe isn't with the computer itself but HPs Win 7 upgrade system. They are using a 3rd party to actually handle the requests. I'm not sure how other manufacturers are doing it, but I HATE this company. They are so ass backwards it isn't even funny.

To order your kit (why not give the option to download and burn yourself?) you have to provide proof of purchase, which is understandable. You can either attach it with the order initially, come back later with the scanned copy and attach it through the pages you use to track your order, or fax it to them. I figured I'd just continue with the order and come back later with the copy since the computer attached to the scanner isn't currently connected to the internet, and it's easier to just let the page scan your computer to find you computer's information, the current OS version, model number, serial number, etc. I go through almost the entire process when it asked me to provide the scanned image. At this point figuring I had nothing to do, I decide to go through the entire process in one shot, and just move the picture with some form of removable media. Long story short, when I get back the system has timed me out and you have to re-login. So I think it's no problem, that all I would need is my email address, maybe some other easily memorable form of identification.

Nope, they want the order number.

So, I STILL think this is no problem. I'll just check my email. SURELY they've emailed the order info.

No dice.

So, I go back to the page to see if maybe I'd missed the link to retrieve order number or something along those lines.

Outta luck.

Seriously, you ACTUALLY expect people to remember/copy the order number?

Even better is how you HAVE to use IE to access the site. If you don't you get a page informing you that you must use IE to go through the upgrade process. They continue to say that if you don't have access to IE, to contact them. Guess what happens when you click the "Contact Us" link? That's right, you guessed it! You get redirected to the EXACT SAME PAGE. How STUPID do you have to be to do something like that? My dad who is virtually clueless when it comes to anything remotely technical understood the problem immediately.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

WTH? My sister got an HP laptop and they just shipped her a Windows 7 DVD for free (just shipped a few hours ago). WTH did you buy the comp? They should have just sent a DVD like everyone else is doing.

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

WTH? My sister got an HP laptop and they just shipped her a Windows 7 DVD for free (just shipped a few hours ago). WTH did you buy the comp? They should have just sent a DVD like everyone else is doing.

Direct from HP. If they were just supposed to automatically send it, I wasn't notified, though I probably ordered my quite some time after she did.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Direct from HP. If they were just supposed to automatically send it, I wasn't notified, though I probably ordered my quite some time after she did.

Yeah. You're supposed to receive a disk with the upgrade on it for free. My sis ordered from bestbuy (I know, I know, but we couldn't find any touchscreen laptops anywere else that she wanted). The disk should be here soon.

In the meantime, my copy that I payed for arrived right as I was walking in the door.

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png