Second Skin Audio

sealed enclosure

I am only using the fiberglass for a lil extra support I current have an old RF hx2 12 that handles 500 watts rms and it flexes the hell out of the particle board that i used for that box. I just got a PPI pro 124 that can handle 1000 watts rms, with this box i am using 3/4 MDF instead of particle board. I just want to be safe then sorry so i don t have to rip it out and redo everything. maybe 1 more layer though I have 2 done right now as we talk time to start the 3 layer.

thanks

PS i don t have alot of experience with fiberglass either I have made a quite a few boxes before just never 1 that could handle this much power.

A sealed box? I wouldnt even bother fiberglassing a sealed box

i usually put atleast 2 layers of 2 ounce matt along all the joints.

But with a sealed box you dont have to worry much about air flow, so id say use lots of bracing with some fiberglass in the joints to give an extra seal.

I am only using the fiberglass for a lil extra support I current have an old RF hx2 12 that handles 500 watts rms and it flexes the hell out of the particle board that i used for that box. I just got a PPI pro 124 that can handle 1000 watts rms, with this box i am using 3/4 MDF instead of particle board. I just want to be safe then sorry so i don t have to rip it out and redo everything. maybe 1 more layer though I have 2 done right now as we talk time to start the 3 layer.

thanks

PS i don t have alot of experience with fiberglass either I have made a quite a few boxes before just never 1 that could handle this much power.

Ive just recently got back into the audio game and from what ive read build another box,3/4 mdf if im not mistaken. take your time and look around this forum you will find everything you need and a whole lot more.particle board= bad and mdf=good. someone correct me if im wrong. thank you. :friends:

Edited by LOOKINFORSPL?

theres no need to fiberglass a sealed box

Vehicle: 1995 Impala SSHead Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BHMids And Highs: (still deciding)Batteries: 1 Deka Group 34

Time to make a race car.My Build Log: Solo X 12"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build/My Build Log: DC lvl 4 xl 15"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build-My Wall Build Log: 4 Lanzar 15's/ 3k+ RMShttp://www.stevemead...t-by-techforce/My Feedback:http://www.stevemead...1

i always use sealed boxes....i would not build it out of particle board....i have never used any fiberglass in any of my boxes...and...i always stuff the box with polyfill....

" WELCOME TO AMERICA!!" we speak english here.....

There's no good reason not to fiberglass your box. It will strengthen your joints and reduce flexing. Also MDF is slightly porous, no where near as bad as particle board but still not completely air tight, and the more airtight your box is the better. Can you tell the difference in the flex? Maybe. Will you be able to tell the difference with making your sealed box a little more airtight? Probably not.

Its one of those things along the lines of spending money on High end RCA's, you won't hear the difference until your so far into the game that your running big money gear and a ton a sound deadener, then you might hear the difference. In a regular street beater you probably won't be able to tell at all.

I just though i would add this in before somebody starts an argument. This is a direct quote from the MECP Advanced Installer Handbook. "Although difficult to tell, MDF is a leaky material. For optimum results, seal the inside cavity with polyester resin, sealer paints or rubberized undercoating. The greater the woofer excurion, the greater the leak experienced in the untreated MDF." pg. 196