Second Skin Audio

reasonable box price?

So I attended my first competition ever today. I jsut got back from a new england spl event. Met some cool people heard some nice stuff. The main reason I went was to meet with this guy dave (2009 NE spl competitor of the year) who is real good at making custom boxes. My setup is listed in my sig and he took measurements and threw some ideas out for a box for me. Its going into an 06 silverado ext cab and I have some space restrictions. He is going to have a design and sketch for me by the end of next week. We may not have the space to use all 4 and I told him if he can make 3 of them louder than the 4 in the setup I have now then lets do it. I just want to get louder. He told me the price could be anywhere from 500-800$ for an mdf box for 3 or 4 12s ported. The shape will be a little weird not just a rectangle but 800$? for 800 should I just ditch the 4 12s and buy 2 15s of something? 800 for a box seems pretty steep.

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts

I'm no pro at pricing box builds, but what all is he going to do to the box. Might be easier just to get someone to help you from the forum that lives close that builds boxes.

J&T DESIGNS

M5

4 Audioque 15's copper coils dropping Audiopipe, and picking up DB DRIVE OKUR

Powermasters

XS POWER

Dropping MaxxSonics

Pioneer

get a design and build a box yourself ...is it worth givin more money for the box than your whole setup

Thats what Im thinking but I dont know how to design ports and stuff like that. It is very pricey. So Im up in the air now. I saw some of his boxes today and they look pretty nice some have big external tube ports and stuff but the thing is the box isn't going to be a very weird shape its not crazy complicated, and that 6-800 bucks was factoring in without any finish, he said he usually does paint and I said I would carpet it myself. So no finish, just the woodwork is that much. and he wasn't sure( i know you dont know til you do it) but he couldnt guess how much I will gain and get louder from it. I didn't take a run on the TL but he told me I was mid to high 130's no problem with 4 sealed downfire. He said if he had to guess 136-137 db.

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

I'm no pro at pricing box builds, but what all is he going to do to the box. Might be easier just to get someone to help you from the forum that lives close that builds boxes.

Ive asked a few times and I cant find anyone that lives anywhere near me that will help. And That is what Im thinking the amp was 240 and each sub is like 150 so my whole setup is just over 800 bucks and to spend 800 on a box to gain like 3 dbs? is that worth it?

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

Ive asked a few times and I cant find anyone that lives anywhere near me that will help. And That is what Im thinking the amp was 240 and each sub is like 150 so my whole setup is just over 800 bucks and to spend 800 on a box to gain like 3 dbs? is that worth it?

I wouldn't pay 800 for a box. I'm sure someone can draw one up for you to go by.

J&T DESIGNS

M5

4 Audioque 15's copper coils dropping Audiopipe, and picking up DB DRIVE OKUR

Powermasters

XS POWER

Dropping MaxxSonics

Pioneer

if thats what he charges just make sure its worth it

look at his boxes, boxes he's built for other people

and the werid shape of your box is propaly increasing the price

I did see a few and theres pics at www.newenglandspl.com under the custom enclosures section. there nice but there not the best ive seen , ive seen better on this website by far. He definatley does good work i cant take anything away from him he knows what he is doing for sure, saw him hit 150.2 with 2 12s today. But if he can't gaurantee me to get that much louder than I am now is 800 $ better spent getting 2 15's? or something. I do have around 4 cubes to work with.

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

I wouldn't pay 800 for a box. I'm sure someone can draw one up for you to go by.

the only problem with that is its hard to explain the exact dimensions without seeing it in person from different angles and knowing the space Im willing to give up.

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

I did see a few and theres pics at www.newenglandspl.com under the custom enclosures section. there nice but there not the best ive seen , ive seen better on this website by far. He definatley does good work i cant take anything away from him he knows what he is doing for sure, saw him hit 150.2 with 2 12s today. But if he can't gaurantee me to get that much louder than I am now is 800 $ better spent getting 2 15's? or something. I do have around 4 cubes to work with.

sounds kind of high, but its his price. he sets it, and hes responsible for making it worth the cash...but IMO, 2 good 15s are not gonna like only 4 cubes man

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco