Question about Crown XLS series amps

No, I'm afraid I haven't had the chance to use the newer Meyer's. Still stuck with PSW-2's and CQ-1's and CQ-2's. Did get a 5 minute mix on a MILO system, quite liked it.

In regards to the RCF ART322's, as a test we hooked one up to an aux, and gave it some nice music (1492 Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis), then proceeded to throw it off the flyfloor.

It bounced.

And kept going. It took some exterior paint and left a nice dent in the front grill, and broke my XLR connection. Still works to this day. Not bad for a 10 meter drop. I quite like them. Sound comes in, then out, but louder.

Cheers,

Mick

wow. i knew they were tough but thats crazy.

i love the 310's we have, they have alot of output, self powered, relatively flat, and work great for monitors.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

wow. i knew they were tough but thats crazy.

i love the 310's we have, they have alot of output, self powered, relatively flat, and work great for monitors.

Tough little buggers, they surely are.

I was just reading your sig matey, sounds like quite a system you are amassing. PM4K's, Danley's, 16 channels of dynamics.....very nice my friend. Are you head tech?

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Tough little buggers, they surely are.

I was just reading your sig matey, sounds like quite a system you are amassing. PM4K's, Danley's, 16 channels of dynamics.....very nice my friend. Are you head tech?

Cheers,

Mick

haha yeah.

thanks, its turning out to be a nice system, hopefully next week we'll be going to pick up a 24 box Apogee 3x3 system and i guess you could say im next in line to head tech lol. most of the time i mix monitors. we just picked up a 52 frame crest gtx last week for a temporary monitor desk. looking for a PM4K or 3500 M, found a few but theyre a little steep on the prices.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

24 box Apogee? That will do very nicely in a large hall. I see you are still undecided on subs. Have you looked into the Ramsdell Sub Engine, voted the most popular Sub Woofer by Pro Sound Web, or the new BassMaxx subs? I hear that at a shootout, EAW rolled up with stacks upon stacks of subs, and got put to shame by a few BassMaxx units. Word around the street is the BassMaxx are just spastic.

I did see a Heritage3K go for a good price in the US. They still cost an arm and a leg over here, but with new digi's people don't want to haul MIDAS quality around. I sure do.

Whatever you choose, best of luck. You have made very good choices in gear so far.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

24 box Apogee? That will do very nicely in a large hall. I see you are still undecided on subs. Have you looked into the Ramsdell Sub Engine, voted the most popular Sub Woofer by Pro Sound Web, or the new BassMaxx subs? I hear that at a shootout, EAW rolled up with stacks upon stacks of subs, and got put to shame by a few BassMaxx units. Word around the street is the BassMaxx are just spastic.

I did see a Heritage3K go for a good price in the US. They still cost an arm and a leg over here, but with new digi's people don't want to haul MIDAS quality around. I sure do.

Whatever you choose, best of luck. You have made very good choices in gear so far.

Cheers,

Mick

yeah we're gearing up for big outdoor festivals and big indoor stuff. actually havent looked into either of those subs, but ill have to give them a look. thats crazy if only a few of those BassMaxx's blew away a bunch of EAW's.

i'd love to end up with a Midas, but the only ones our broker ever finds are pretty pricey, especially compared to what he can get us a PM3500M for.

we actually saw an XL4 for $40k last week, good price on that desk but still alot of money for us to shell out right now.

yeah everyone's going crazy over the new digital stuff. to be honest, ive heard ONE digital setup that sounded good to me and that was Steve McKael(SP?)'s Digidesign Venue rig. but to do that one right youre looking at over $500k with the way he had it geared up down at LMG in Orlando.

id rather have an old analog console to mix off of, and the weights not that big of an issue if you have an EZ Tilt, which we're in the process of trying to build.

and thanks, we're pretty happy with our gear selection so far.

edit: i still want to try out the new Danley 812 monster

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

I've seen that Danley 812. I think Danley and McCauley are having 'who's bass dick can slap each other's face harder' contest, what with McCauley bringing out a quad 21" box.

You know, we may be putting together a smaller PA consisting of almost entirely Chinese gear for a college. All IBO Pro Audio. I've heard their W-6F Full range cabinet and was quite impressed. It's no CQ-1 or VDOSC, but maybe on the same level as KF760's, Upper JBL's, Peavey Q-Waves etc. Just 4 tops on six dual 18's. The aim of the game is to have the whole system (FOH Local, FOH Stage, Monitors Local, Monitors Stage) wired to a single 3-phase plug. This will be interesting.

If it happens, I will certainly share how it goes.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

a quad 21"?! that just ridiculous. did you like the danley 812 box?

if you get all of that wired to a single 3 phase plug you'll be doing something, but it might do alright, we've had a few occasions where all we had was a 100 amp circuit to run FOH (macro tech vz5000 and 2 36x12's), monitors, and band power and we got away with it. you gonna be powering it with IBO too? i took a look at their website, their stuff looks like decent stuff, obviously not high end by any means but if theyre budget friendly they dont look too bad. i wonder what drivers they load those cabs with.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

I only got to see the Danley, wish I could tell you how it sounds but alas I have not heard the unit myself.

And yes, the McCauley is massive. I can't think of anyone who would want to lift that thing.

As for IBO;

They design and build their own drivers in house. They seem to be of decent quality. Again, no VDOSC or CQ-1, but they do hold their own. I was quite suprised that I could get a flat +/-2dB response from 120Hz to 17KHz with a W-6F.

Though the amps are heavy. Trade-off I suppose.

In regards to power, it will be;

3 MX3600

3 MX2400

4 EONS

1 Lewis Legro Series 4500

01V96V2

Drive rack and processing

Band Power

All off 96 Amperes......yup....

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Getting into all kinds of O/T but oh well...

Micky, what do you use for measuring response in a room? I have a Behringer ECM whatever it is that I've never got round to sorting out for RTA'ing cars, do you use something similar or something a bit more industrial?

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I use the software SpecLab with just a generic DBX RTA mic that comes with the Driverack 240. It does the trick once you use a FIR filter to allow for your PC RTA'ing itself...no soundcard is perfect, though I find DigiDesign products are very good for it.

DBX RTA mic -> DigiDesign little box of computerised inputy-outputy - SpecLab

I used to use the Behringer to be honest, it did the trick quite nicely.

But then it burst into flame.

We no use it no more.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A