Question about Crown XLS series amps

Basically, Crown's XLS-series amps have ratings for the following:

(I used the XLS 202 because that's what I'd most likely buy)

XLS 202

stereo, 4ohms (per channel) 300W

stereo, 8ohms (per channel) 200W

8ohms bridged 600W

4ohms bridged --

I'm looking to power a beefy 12" custom sub I bought from Forevrbumpn, and I don't want to spend a grand on a big home amp for it. I can get an XLS 202 for somewhere around $250 on eBay new, but the problem is that I would run it at 4ohms bridged because the sub is a dual 2ohm. It just seems odd to me that the amps would be stable at 4ohms per channel but not 4ohms bridged. Do you think I should even try running one of these amps at that impedance? Or if not, could someone suggest a <$300 home/DJ amp that can run somewhere north of 800W at 4ohms bridged?

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

4 ohms bridged is like 2 ohms stereo.

the XLS series probably wont like 4 ohms bridged.

but if you could find a used macro tech, that'd be more than enough power.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

4 ohms bridged is like 2 ohms stereo.

the XLS series probably wont like 4 ohms bridged.

but if you could find a used macro tech, that'd be more than enough power.

Looked up the macro tech...god damn those are expensive. I also found the CE series though. Specifically, the CE1000 because I really won't have use for anything above that. Plus it runs 4ohms bridged... :spiteful:

My feedback thread

haha yeah the macro techs are expensive, but theyre true pro gear.

we use macro tech vz5000's on the subs in our P.A rigs

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Peavey CS4000

Behringer EP2500 (I say this lightly....it is cheap, and it does work quite well. No customer service. None)

QSC RMX

Older used Crowns (MacroTech, MicroTech, Com-Tech1610)

Older RAMSA's

Yamaha P7000S

Ex-Tour CAMCO Vortex

These amplifiers can be had at reasonable prices and will be able to provide you with what you want. The XLS series aren't real Crowns, they do not deserve the badge.

The older Crowns will give you fantastic performance and power with great phase and damping factor with two trade offs; Heavey, and power hogging. They are old iron. They behave like old iron.

New amps, the CS4000 is hard to beat, and I actually do not mind the EP series from Be-zinger. Apart from the B-factor. O lawd. Though it is two ohm stable, so stable in a four ohm bridge environment. For how long? Good question. The Yamaha may be a much better choice for long term performance.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

I checked out all those amps...they all look good, minus a couple (Yamaha, Peavey) that are still expensive as hell. The Mackie looks great for the price...decisions decisions.

My feedback thread

I checked out all those amps...they all look good, minus a couple (Yamaha, Peavey) that are still expensive as hell. The Mackie looks great for the price...decisions decisions.

Be careful with the new Loud Technologies (Mackie, Ampeg etc) gear. They have moved manufacturing plants, and quality control is at an all time low. The older Mackie Fast Recovery (M series) were very, very good. They should pop up used now and again. Look for Mackie M1400 or M2600. Quite cheap.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Peavey CS4000

Behringer EP2500 (I say this lightly....it is cheap, and it does work quite well. No customer service. None)

QSC RMX

Older used Crowns (MacroTech, MicroTech, Com-Tech1610)

Older RAMSA's

Yamaha P7000S

Ex-Tour CAMCO Vortex

These amplifiers can be had at reasonable prices and will be able to provide you with what you want. The XLS series aren't real Crowns, they do not deserve the badge.

The older Crowns will give you fantastic performance and power with great phase and damping factor with two trade offs; Heavey, and power hogging. They are old iron. They behave like old iron.

New amps, the CS4000 is hard to beat, and I actually do not mind the EP series from Be-zinger. Apart from the B-factor. O lawd. Though it is two ohm stable, so stable in a four ohm bridge environment. For how long? Good question. The Yamaha may be a much better choice for long term performance.

Cheers,

Mick

i cant believe you put a peavey and a behringer in the same list as the others haha.

if going with QSC id much rather prefer a PLX series over the RMX if you have the budget.

there arent too many newer pro amps i like, the new crown i techs and macro tech i's or w/e they call them are pretty nice.

the words "nice ass" and "mackie" dont belong in the same sentance.

also, look for some older carvers and pre-peavey crest amps.

edit: hey mick have you had a chance to mess with any of the meyer powered sub bins that have the 4 18's and 2 15's?

edit2: and how do you like the RCF ART320's? we have some 310's weve been using for monitors and they work great.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

edit: hey mick have you had a chance to mess with any of the meyer powered sub bins that have the 4 18's and 2 15's?

edit2: and how do you like the RCF ART320's? we have some 310's weve been using for monitors and they work great.

No, I'm afraid I haven't had the chance to use the newer Meyer's. Still stuck with PSW-2's and CQ-1's and CQ-2's. Did get a 5 minute mix on a MILO system, quite liked it.

In regards to the RCF ART322's, as a test we hooked one up to an aux, and gave it some nice music (1492 Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis), then proceeded to throw it off the flyfloor.

It bounced.

And kept going. It took some exterior paint and left a nice dent in the front grill, and broke my XLR connection. Still works to this day. Not bad for a 10 meter drop. I quite like them. Sound comes in, then out, but louder.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived