Second Skin Audio

Sealed box = loud?

Hostility

What exactly do you want your woofers to do? Have you never heard a vented box that you liked the sound of.

I used to build a lot of sealed enclosures because it was what certain manufacterers recommended for their subs with mostly pretty good results in most cases. Sealed i.e. "acoustic suspension" enclosures, as the name implies, use the air trapped inside the enclosure to help control the motion of the woofer cone. This air compression is primarily a linear mechanical factor. Optimized sealed enclosures are thus able to offer a smooth linear response curve.

Below their tuning frequencies, all enclosures start to fall off in terms of volume. Sealed enclosures do this relatively slower than either vented or bandpass boxes; so, in many cases, a sealed box will have better very low bass than the other enclosures. However, all this control and extension has a steep price: EFFICIENCY. Sealed boxes take more power to acheive the same SPL than vented or bandpass boxes. In fact, you can often get one sub in a proper vented box to sound as loud as TWO of the same sub in a sealed enclosure.

That is because vented boxes use the air in the port to augment the primary output of the woofer cone at certain frequencies. Assuming we have a sub that works equally well inside a sealed or ported enclosure (unlikely, but just assume); the sealed box will not come close to a ported box in terms of output or mechanical power handling above tuning frequency. Also, depending on tuning and other factors, it is often possible to get more low bass output from the vented box despite its steep roll-off because it starts off much louder in the first place.

Are you sure you won't give a PROPERLY DESIGNED ported box a chance? You could be missing out. On the other hand, you have plenty of power so output is not your big problem, so maybe you just need to ride with a sealed box for a while before you come back over.

well i think im going to give ported one last try, i might try and figure out how to do a 3/4 wall in my truck and still be able to see out my rear view mirror, but its just a desgin im having problems with, and i might try tuning to like 35-36hz this time instead of 32-33hz, and what i want is a clean sound, that can play all my music, and get down low. thats all i really want, also hairtricks are a plus, but i know that takes a lot and i doubt sealed would do that at all unless i had a ton of cone area. but i would also like the room back in my truck and to be able to push my seat back and be comfy driving again lol. but i think i might try this 3/4 wall thing first, then after that ill go sealed with some 10's

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver