Give me 60 seconds to explain Bass Boosts/Clipping

This is not about remote gain knobs... which adjust the input sensitivity (which affects all frequencies played thru amp)

This is about bass boost knobs/or boosting on programs like audacity at a specified frequency

It is imperative in my opinion when you download/acquire new music to use an audio playback program that has an Osciloscope as a visualization option, like Windows Media Player

This is My version of Gorilla Zoe - Money Man... the same section of the song repeated each time

It will be played with no boost, then +3, then +6, then +12 and finally +18 at 32hz (i just picked a random number near the peak)

If you have a bass knob with an adjustable frequency option this is the same as turning the frequency to 30ish and slowly turning the knob up from zero to max (usually 0-12db or 0-18db)

The objective is to SEE the consequences of incorrectly setting gains with a bass knob, or playing music boosted by a dj (like on free mixtape websites)

I will go more into detail if need be, but I get ALOT of PMs asking whether a song is clipped or not and I want others to be able to pick it out visually for themselves, so that when they play it in their car knowing it is clipped, they then can associate the "look" with the "sound" of clipping... and hopefully eliminate the problems that arise from overdriving your amp(s) and sub(s) from clipping both by music choice and using a bass knob

Enjoy... if you want to view it on ur own computer screen, pm me for a link so u can also hear the distortion

(my camera takes 60 second vids, so the original song plays for ~5 seconds, then every ~15 seconds it fades out into the next step of boosting)

*New New Video w/better frame rate and w/sound*

th_DSCF0002-1.jpg

As you can see the first ~5 seconds is my version playing, unboosted

Next is +3... which is almost unnoticeable (this is where i draw the line in my songs when it comes to how visually clipped it is)

Next is +6... it begins to be obvious especially on the lower note that there are some flat spots, and audibly u can start to hear cracklin/muddyness

Next is +12. is obvious clipping, it sounds like crap... and this amount of clipping could kill an amp fast, a overdriven sub even faster

Last is +18.. I can't listen to this section more than 2% volume because it sounds so bad... this type of clipping will destroy anything in its path.... this amount is common with Gucci, Rick Ross, Waka Flocka, Lil Wayne.... alot of mainstream artists we all listen to... so be careful and be aware of what u are playing

Id be glad to answer any more questions... a while ago Bigpimpn91 went in-depth in THIS THREAD... I contributed some info as well

(LOL, BigPimpn91 exceeded bandwidth so only my pictures are still up... but its a good read nonetheless)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

good stuff man an do u have the link to that program bc i wanna get it an get all 1800 songs on my ipod sorted out so ik what i can play an not play

kia spectra 4 door

HU-a kenwood kdc-692x

optima red top under the hood ( kinetik battery or powermaster in the back )

Iraggi 260amp H/O alternator

1 set of knu kandy 1/0 guage wiring kit ( 2 more sets coming )

front speakers -

back speakers -

2 12" lv 4's with lvl 5 softparts ( going to be 4 in near future)

Sundown 3500d( going to be 2 sometime )

i have boughten from - Bass14(smd), ddbump(caraudioclassifieds)

Did your reading skills increase LOL, first it was 70 sec now it is 60 sec.

BTW nice Explanation.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Did your reading skills increase LOL, first it was 70 sec now it is 60 sec.

BTW nice Explanation.

lol... the numbers are right next to eachother... but i caught it before anyone commented, or so i thought jerk face :aggressive: << lol

i could go way more into detail if i need to... but this is just a survival brochure in car audio, not a survival book

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

i played, swing my door - gucci mane. on the windows media player o-scope and it was clipped BAD. so i played like all my music through it and saw which songs that i need to watch out for...pretty neat

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

Archived