Sonic Electronix

Changing my system before I even have it half way done, OCD kickin in

Lets just say Im pretty OCD when it comes to building things. I have been building the setup for my truck for a few months now. All that is really left is purchasing the alternators and bracket. Getting a few batteries and finishing up the wiring. The subs are here. The amps are here. The mids and highs are installed except for the door panels that I still need to get from the junk yard.

Now im obsessing about going even bigger and trying to fit 4 15's in the back of my Silverado. All under the window line, no wall. Im going out now to do some measuring and if I think it will work I just may scrap the box I already have built and just go for it. Fill the whole back of the extra cab with woofers. If I wire my subs down to .5 I have all the amplifiers I need, just need 2 more subs to fill the holes.

Anyone else do shit like this. Just build stuff with sort of a plan and just scrap everything mid stream to build something else. Having 2 15's sounds like it would be good, 4 15's seem like it would be awesome.

Link to what I have done so far in in my sig if you want to check it out.

I was surprised. I can actually make this thing fit. 4 15" subs facing up with the port up. The port will either have to face up or foreward firing into the backs of my seats, didnt think that would be a good idea.

Laid it out on a piece of MDF.

img4687r.jpg

I will get about 1/4 in gap between the gaskets and from the edges of the box. I can get the 16 cubes of air space and have room left under the box for the amps and maybe the batteries. Depends on how much displacement I need for the port.

This is what I need input on.

I see Steve and a few other people on here with 4 18's and small ports. Smaller than what im coming up with for 4 15's.

I figured I would need an 8 X 24 port 13.5 inches deep for 36hz tuning, 12 sq inch per cube.

I would need a 9 X 24.75 port 16.5 inches deep for the same tuning, 14 sq inch per cube.

Those seem huge compared to what I have been seeing.

I would like to get some opinions about what to do as far as my port goes. Then I can figure out just how big this beast is going to wind up being.

yeah dude im ocd about it myself... i can seem to stick with a setup... ive had atleast 5 different ones in 2 different vehicles just this year... sometimes its just not good enough or loud enough and other times... i want to just try something else...

but the biggest thing for me i think..is that i love designing,building, and installing... and once i get everything in, there is pretty much nothing to do and i get bored real fast.. and want to rebuild immediately... just take my truck for example... less than a month ago i designed and built my current system of 4 rex 8's... and now already im looking to sell my stuff and do a blow thru...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

What subs are you going to use? Cause I'd say that 3-3.5 cubes is way more than enough for each 15. You said that you have 16 cubes and I'm assuming that's before displacement. Woofer displacement won't be anymore than a cube so that takes us down to 15 and leaves you with 3 or so cubes for port and bracing displacement. For my daily setup I run 3.6 per sub which is large but I had to cause I needed extra box volume to get the tuning I wanted cause I couldn't make the aeroports any longer. For my spl setup I run 3 cubes and after displacement it comes out to around 2.7 or so.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Im probably sticking with the AQ HDC315's. The 2 I have now have aluminum voice coils. I was also wondering if I should stay with aluminum voice coils for the other 2 or if using 2 with the copper coils would be OK. I can get used ones with the copper coils cheaper. Later on I will probably switch the subs out with RD Heavyweights or Sundown Nightshades. But that will probably be next year and I will be adding 2 more RD 3250's when I upgrade the subs. I want to build myself a serious groundpounder.

I actually have room for more than 16 cubes. I went with that area because AQ recommends 4 cubes for their 15's.

Im more curious about the port and why when everyone always recommends 16 sq in per cube I see some of the more violent setups on this site with much smaller ports.

Archived