Second Skin Audio

help on a 8" midbass driver

skittlesRgood

hmm. thatll work in the space i have... what do you love about that woofer?

When I worked for the shop I used to work at, we used Scanspeak, and the Revelator was the main mid/tweeter combos we used, and they were absolutely the best at that price range ($180 or so per driver)

The Illuminator takes the Revelator 1- 2 steps further in design, and quality, and performance

Bass is 360hz- 380hz and down, that is where bass loses its directional-ness

want to know why? Its a simple thing to do with quarter wave theory. From ear to ear, the distance is average about 360hz quarter wave 9" distance equals actual 376hz

There is a little fun trick you can do, listen to bass sweeps with both ears open, and then cover one ear

You will hear a wider bass range with just one ear- That doesn't say A whole lot, but it give you an idea oh how you can test that theory with out using any complicated test equipment

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

nah, i have no room under the seat. i like the idea though.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

When I worked for the shop I used to work at, we used Scanspeak, and the Revelator was the main mid/tweeter combos we used, and they were absolutely the best at that price range ($180 or so per driver)

The Illuminator takes the Revelator 1- 2 steps further in design, and quality, and performance

Bass is 360hz- 380hz and down, that is where bass loses its directional-ness

want to know why? Its a simple thing to do with quarter wave theory. From ear to ear, the distance is average about 360hz quarter wave 9" distance equals actual 376hz

There is a little fun trick you can do, listen to bass sweeps with both ears open, and then cover one ear

You will hear a wider bass range with just one ear- That doesn't say A whole lot, but it give you an idea oh how you can test that theory with out using any complicated test equipment

I wasn't sure about the frequency in which bass becomes directional. I just searched on google, and there are a bunch of different answers. Some say 80hz, some say 300, some say 50. None say as high as 400-500hz though, which seems to be how high Skittles wants to run them. So even if bass does lose it's directionality at 360-380hz, he's still going to be playing higher then that. Personally, I would try to get a stereo pair going. But who knows, maybe it doesn't matter all that much. I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I feel the urge to add some separate midbass woofers to my system too, just unsure of where to put them. I thought about getting kickpods for the highs/mids, and then put a pair of 6.5" midbass woofers in the doors. Only problem is most of the dedicated midbass woofers are too deep for my doors, and spacers would only make them stick out too far and hit my door panels. Only solution I can think of is glassing door pods for them, but I've never done it, so I'm unsure about that.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

why dont u just get the 8 inch subs frm CDT?!

2005 Dodge Magnum

Kenwood DNX573S Double Din

NVX Big 3 Kit

NVX 0 Gauge Cable & speaker cable

XS Power V3100 Battery

Iraggi Alternator 320A

3.5" NVX Speakers

6.5" Incriminator Audio Components (just mids)

6x9" NVX Speaker

MVPA4 Amplifier

(2) 12" NVX VCW Subwoofers

XPLD3K NVX Amplifier

YouTube Channel

@CarlosTj664

why dont u just get the 8 inch subs frm CDT?!

show me one with a wide frequency range that'll work well in a .4cuft box...

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

ill have to look at what i can do to spread the sound away from the center. might have to do some glassing...

why not the RF punch? meade has them in small enclosures.... i had spoke to RF awhile ago and the guy told me they will handle the full range of midbass...

Full eclipse system is next on list.. soon to gut and redo the honda as new project/rolling buissness card :)

i miss the sound of those old school strokers on beast amps :(

why not the RF punch? meade has them in small enclosures.... i had spoke to RF awhile ago and the guy told me they will handle the full range of midbass...

some brands i just dont like. i believe i can do better than what RF has to offer.

edit - just cause meade uses them doesnt make them the best.

2005 Dodge Magnum

Kenwood DNX573S Double Din

NVX Big 3 Kit

NVX 0 Gauge Cable & speaker cable

XS Power V3100 Battery

Iraggi Alternator 320A

3.5" NVX Speakers

6.5" Incriminator Audio Components (just mids)

6x9" NVX Speaker

MVPA4 Amplifier

(2) 12" NVX VCW Subwoofers

XPLD3K NVX Amplifier

YouTube Channel

@CarlosTj664

Archived