Sonic Electronix

normally the amp racks arent right behind the speakers so the cables are stretched out much farther. as many times as we've coiled up the excess next to the rack we've had no problems like that. but we normally only have a few wraps worth coiled up, it'd probably take a LOT to make a difference.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see coiled live speaker cables :girl_devil:

Actually I've never decided if that was a myth or not... seems like if you had enough windings and enough voltage you could accidently create a low-pass filter in your speaker wire?

Yes, you can make an inducting coil with your speaker wire I suppose...but I'm more worried about fire. I know I've done it. Left a coil of 50M NL4, drove a big load with it. PA stopped making bang, then the stage was on fire.

I lulzed.

Quick, they look very, very nice. I'm glad you like the noise they produce. Nice weighty point source. Truth be told, I'm glad you didn't go the array setup. Most people never use enough cabinets to truly form a linear source, and a point source system can work so much better in many situations. Looks like a fantastic setup, I'm jealous.

Any word on your sub choices?

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Yes, you can make an inducting coil with your speaker wire I suppose...but I'm more worried about fire. I know I've done it. Left a coil of 50M NL4, drove a big load with it. PA stopped making bang, then the stage was on fire.

I lulzed.

Quick, they look very, very nice. I'm glad you like the noise they produce. Nice weighty point source. Truth be told, I'm glad you didn't go the array setup. Most people never use enough cabinets to truly form a linear source, and a point source system can work so much better in many situations. Looks like a fantastic setup, I'm jealous.

Any word on your sub choices?

Cheers,

Mick

yeah we were actually working a deal with TVI for a 24 box line array system, but they wouldnt deal with us enough (even though they were giving us a hell of a deal, it wasnt enough of a deal). we've had so many people try and tell us that a trap box system just wont sound as good as a line array, and i'll tell you now these boxes sound WAY better than any line array i've ever heard and i've heard quite a few (but i'd still like to hear Clair's new system they have out with U2 right now). a virtual array system like these 3x3's are great because its modular too, we can do small stuff with 2 a side, or huge outdoor shows with all of them, and a line array you have to have at least 4 a side to get the vertical coverage you need.

subs, we got 8 double 18" ShowCo subs from Clair on the way, the subs that were paired with the Prism system back in the day. and we have 4 racks of Clair Carvers on the way too, along with 10 ShowCo wedges (JBL 15", 2445 horn, and a 2404 bullet all in 1 wedge). there's 12 amps per rack, so 48 amps should be enough to have some fun with :P

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Can't make trap boxes sound good? What a load of crap. I'd take a point source system over an array most times. I have never had an array that properly begins to form a cylindrical waveform with less than 10 cabs a side. Cluster those traps up properly and you can have great even coverage with no lobing or filtering.

So you went with the ShowCo's? Nicely done. The Prism was something to contend with, so I have no doubt these subs will work hard. And I don't think you can put 48 amps, FOH, wedges and processing on a single 3phase. Looks like you are at the stage where you need a few flux capacitors and other offworld power sources.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

you know i was lookin at this and it looks really awesome but

is that guy wearin a skirt????

hes a barbarian!

2001 Black Monte Carlo SS chrome 20''

(1) Alpine i-9881 deck-ipod-

(2) DC lvl 4XL 18''s-Walled-

(1) DAT Hellfire - 2500.1-fused-

(1) D3400 XS Power battery-fused-

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4

(1) DC POWER ALT INSTALLED BY ROB FTW,Big3

(1) Viper 5901 Alarm + killer yorkies and chihuahas

[EdgarCervantes] 4:31 pm: im in my room and out of nowere i hear bass im like oh shit sombody has

bass in this city, i look out the window and its my mom bumping Gorilla Zoe

Can't make trap boxes sound good? What a load of crap. I'd take a point source system over an array most times. I have never had an array that properly begins to form a cylindrical waveform with less than 10 cabs a side. Cluster those traps up properly and you can have great even coverage with no lobing or filtering.

So you went with the ShowCo's? Nicely done. The Prism was something to contend with, so I have no doubt these subs will work hard. And I don't think you can put 48 amps, FOH, wedges and processing on a single 3phase. Looks like you are at the stage where you need a few flux capacitors and other offworld power sources.

Cheers,

Mick

haha yeah that's what we said. and for small gigs, we can just ground stack a few boxes a side and have plenty of coverage and not need to fly tons of speakers for a tiny room.

yeah the ShowCo's ended up being the best price-wise and they're pretty efficient. the Prism system was great, we almost ended up with the top boxes too, but the price wasn't right. yeah for full on 24 box rig a pair of flux capacitors will be on call lol. all the stuff we got from Clair shipped today so we'll be heading to the freight terminal early next week to pick it up. the monitor console, EZ tilt (YAY! lol) and now we'll have a template to build a couple more hehe, and snake shipped from minnesota today too. got a 48x8 Whirlwind with disconnects on each end, a rack for the panel, and a cable trunk. and they're looking for the sub snakes that go with it, hope they find them.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

haha yeah that's what we said. and for small gigs, we can just ground stack a few boxes a side and have plenty of coverage and not need to fly tons of speakers for a tiny room.

yeah the ShowCo's ended up being the best price-wise and they're pretty efficient. the Prism system was great, we almost ended up with the top boxes too, but the price wasn't right. yeah for full on 24 box rig a pair of flux capacitors will be on call lol. all the stuff we got from Clair shipped today so we'll be heading to the freight terminal early next week to pick it up. the monitor console, EZ tilt (YAY! lol) and now we'll have a template to build a couple more hehe, and snake shipped from minnesota today too. got a 48x8 Whirlwind with disconnects on each end, a rack for the panel, and a cable trunk. and they're looking for the sub snakes that go with it, hope they find them.

Quick,

Niiiiiiiiiiice.

That is all.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

hahaha. i haven't been this excited over new equipment in a long time.

the next few weeks are gonna be long/fun/tiring/full of work.

we've got a lot of multi-pinning to do, gotta love soldering 24 pins in a 1 inch diameter circle.

lots of power panels to make up, lots of power cables to make, have to build a case for the power distro and cable, which by the way, is HEAVY stuff

edit: hey mick, how about some pictures of the rig you work off of?

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Habeeb it or not, I don't actually have a camera. But I may have a few pics floating around from some junk. I think the best is already my avatar, but I'll certainly see what I can pull up for you. I may have a snap or two from Sneaky Sound System lying around....I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived